I need help on this...

AV1611

Its a good start. Nice and clean layout. However I don't like the dark bold text you have for your body text. Remove the bold type and perhaps use a lighter text colour.

Also don't use caps for all the text, use if for the headings/dates is ok - but dont use it for all the text. Makes it hard to read and bulky IMO.

Good start. Looking good.

For some reason I'm not liking the background pattern you have. Its too "messy" and abstract for the hard lines you have in the rest of the layout. Its not a huge deal, but its something to think about.

I would try using other lines and things to break up the content into little sections. Each section will stand out the eye more if you are to add some dividers and things.

Yeah much better however I'm still not liking the bold text though. Playing with your css in FF makes it much better if the text wasn't bold. As I said before its fine for your heading and dates but don't bold all the text on the page just a bit to much.

I agree with JB103 comment on working on dividing up your content.

I find the bold <p> text hard to read, and your header picture might look less "drab" if you zoom in on it. Everyone knows it's a book - you don't need to show all 4 corners of it. Make it huge!

I like how you took the goldish color of the book page ends and made that your left frame background and date color. Maybe "one doctrine at a time" could be in that color too.

I didnt read all the replies, but:

remove the bold from the text in the main body. Increase the line-spacing to 1.2em etc.

Put the text a little larger in the Navigation.

Add an image into the main content. There is one there but its 404'd.

Add a footer 40px tall.

You could also think about stretching the header/top area - 100% width - i.e. just stretch out the colors etc. - but still keep the Nav and content within the 800px width.

-steve

I don't really like the drop shadows. You need a nice color to offset the dark grey. The header could use some work. I think you should enlarge the book, drap and opacity and let it sit in the background with the text overlay.  Just a thought, may have to play with it. The menu is too tall and can use some rollover affects. Increase the line spacing and drop the bold on the type. Try adding in some more graphic elements.

check out this site  http://www.thecity.org/

• 2 weeks later...

I know how to make a web page, but I just can't figure out how to make a page that works for the theme of this site. It is supposed to be a serious, Bible Doctrine page. (Not just another "Bible" page... this will be ISSUES oriented...) It should look professional, yet friendly so both whitecollar and bluecollar feel comfortable.  It will hit on serious, even controversial issues.  The first one was droll this one is too lax.  I need help.  Ideas.  Anything :/

http://www.templatemonster.com/ look at all the templates in the religion category and see if you can get some ideas.  There is nothing wrong with gaining inspiration from web designs and taking ideas away from them, but there is something wrong with copying code word for word. 

Perform searches via google on topics such as religion, church etc... to get further site design ideas. 

It doesn't all have to be about looking at religion sites for inspiration though, since your site is about issues, then look at issues sites to get an idea of the overall layout.  You also may want to consider looking at a wordpress blog as your site design.  There are numerous themes, all of which can be modified.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.