How to use a Dynamic Drop Box Results?

mark s

Hopefully the answer will help others too.

Function for the Dynamic Drop box taken from. [a href=\"http://www.phpfreaks.com/quickcode/Building-a-Dynamic-Form-Select-Menu/2.php?higlight=dynamic\" target=\"_blank\"]Click Me[/a]

How can i pass the results?

My Goal :
I have a Newsletter page.
Which shows the Dates from a database of past Newsletters.
Along with the dates i have in the database the full HTML code (Newsletter) for viewing.
I want to be able to...
Select a Date hit a button (Submit).
And the value be used to show the News letter Requested. (Same URL Just diffrent output).

Drop Box shows April 2004 with a value of 1 as its index.
So if i select April 2004 a value of 1 can be passed back for my function
to show that Newsletter.

At the moment i would just be happy to see in my URL the address + the Vaue. (1)
or what ever value is against the date selected.
And from there hopefully i can work out the rest.

[!--coloro:#3333FF--][span style=\"color:#3333FF\"][!--/coloro--][i]Mod Note : I did start another topic but its just too messy please close. [a href=\"http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=87467\" target=\"_blank\"]Click Me[/a][/i][!--colorc--][/span][!--/colorc--]

My Working Code so Far :This is only the Dynamic Drop Box
Non of my Newsletter functions have been included.
One step at a time.

===============================================
[!--coloro:#FF0000--][span style=\"color:#FF0000\"][!--/coloro--]<?[!--colorc--][/span][!--/colorc--]

function catlist(){
require('connect.inc'); [!--coloro:#FF9900--][span style=\"color:#FF9900\"][!--/coloro--]// Make Connection.[!--colorc--][/span][!--/colorc--]

$mysql_link = mysql_connect( "$db_host", "$db_username", "$db_password") or die( "Unable to connect to database server");
@mysql_select_db( "$db_name") or die( "Unable to select database");
[!--coloro:#FF9900--][span style=\"color:#FF9900\"][!--/coloro--]// pull the info from cw_00 = Auto inc (1 to 25)[!--colorc--][/span][!--/colorc--]
[!--coloro:#FF9900--][span style=\"color:#FF9900\"][!--/coloro--]// Pull the info from cw_02 = Newsletter in Html[!--colorc--][/span][!--/colorc--]

$sql = mysql_query("SELECT cw_02, cw_00 FROM `cw_newsletter` WHERE `cw_06` = '1' ORDER BY `cw_00` DESC ");
echo "<select name='category_name'>";
while(list($category_name, $category_id)=mysql_fetch_array($sql)){
$category_name = stripslashes($category_name);
[!--coloro:#FF6600--][span style=\"color:#FF6600\"][!--/coloro--]// I have added $category_id to show with $category_name to show that the correct value its picked up.[!--colorc--][/span][!--/colorc--]
echo "<option value='$category_id'>$category_id $category_name</option>";
}
echo "</select>";
[!--coloro:#FF9900--][span style=\"color:#FF9900\"][!--/coloro--]// not sure what this does?[!--colorc--][/span][!--/colorc--]
mysql_free_result($sql);
}

[!--coloro:#FF9900--][span style=\"color:#FF9900\"][!--/coloro--]// The Form:[!--colorc--][/span][!--/colorc--]

echo "<form method='post' action''>
Select:";
catlist();
echo "<input type='Submit' Value='Submit'>
</form>";

[!--coloro:#FF0000--][span style=\"color:#FF0000\"][!--/coloro--]?>[!--colorc--][/span][!--/colorc--]
=======================================

Any help on this would be appreciated,
I have spent day's going in circles and becoming more confused.

How do i pass a vaule from the drop list to be used?
I need it to show a ?value=1 after my URL so my function can use it to show that Newsletter.
[!--coloro:#3333FF--][span style=\"color:#3333FF\"][!--/coloro--]Thank You :)[!--colorc--][/span][!--/colorc--]

Ive got it working :)

I have had to use some Java Script, which i really didnt want to do,
but it may be the only way to achive the results i need.

So if you have a Sigle Drop Box.
And you need the value to be used in the URL you can do this.

=====================================================
<HTML>
<body>

[!--coloro:#FF0000--][span style=\"color:#FF0000\"][!--/coloro--]<script language="JavaScript">[!--colorc--][/span][!--/colorc--]<!--
function goto_URL(object) {
window.location.href =
object.options[object.selectedIndex].value;
return false;
}
//-->[!--coloro:#FF0000--][span style=\"color:#FF0000\"][!--/coloro--]</script>[!--colorc--][/span][!--/colorc--]

<form name="formName6">
<select name="selectName6">

[!--coloro:#FF0000--][span style=\"color:#FF0000\"][!--/coloro--]<?php[!--colorc--][/span][!--/colorc--]
require('dbconnect.inc');
$mysql_link = mysql_connect( "$db_host", "$db_username", "$db_password") or die( "Unable to connect to database server");
@mysql_select_db( "$db_name") or die( "Unable to select database");

$sql = mysql_query("SELECT cw_02, cw_00 FROM `cw_newsletter` WHERE `cw_06` = '1' ORDER BY `cw_00` DESC ");

while(list($category_name, $category_id)=mysql_fetch_array($sql)){
$category_name = stripslashes($category_name);
$category_name = date("F Y", strtotime($category_name)); [!--coloro:#FF9900--][span style=\"color:#FF9900\"][!--/coloro--]// re format the output.[!--colorc--][/span][!--/colorc--]

[!--coloro:#FF9900--][span style=\"color:#FF9900\"][!--/coloro--]// I need a line output as follow to invoke a second function to display current news letter.[!--colorc--][/span][!--/colorc--]
echo "<option value='http://yourpageurl.com/index.phpaction=newsletter&id=$category_id'>$category_name</option>";
}
echo "</select>";
mysql_free_result($sql);

[!--coloro:#FF0000--][span style=\"color:#FF0000\"][!--/coloro--]?>[!--colorc--][/span][!--/colorc--]

<input name="submitName6" type="submit" value="Go" onClick="return goto_URL(this.form.selectName6)">
</form>

==============================================================
It still needs a tidy but its working :)

If anyone knows how it can be done or if it can be done with just php ?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.