Can I install PHP and MySQL myself on my server?

FGG

Hi all,
I would like to try installing a php script i found that uses PHP and MySQL on my server but when I tried I noticed it didn't work, then I realized php wasn't installed. I started looking at my host's page and it seems like my plan (a cheap one $10/mo) doesn't automatically have PHP and a MySQL database. For $12-$30/mo you can get varoius plans with PHP installed and a 50MB or 100MB MySQL database. My question is, can I just install PHP and make my own MySQL database or am I going to have to upgrade my account to get this functionality? If I can, can you give me an idea of how I go about doing this.

Another question I have is I will be installing my script on multiple subdomains, will I need a new MySQL database for every subdomain or will 1 database handle all the info? Or does this depend on how the script was written particularly?

Also, if I do upgrade my account i have the option of a Windows or Linux server. The last time I had a server I went with Linux b/c Windows servers were a little less reliable. Is there any reason I should go with one type or another? I was thinking since I am using PHP & MySQL linux might be the better option whereas if I was going to use an ASP script then it would be better to go with a windows server.. is there any truth or logic to this?

The server is www.interland.com , I've used them before, they are pretty good.. I wish I would have known that php and mysql wouldn't work with the cheap plan.. last time I had a server Perl was the big thing and I got a cheap plan and it came with a cgi-bin and perl and javascript installed... I guess the times are a changing.

Thanks for any help.
FGG

another side note is that I don't have ftp access with my crappy cheap account.. it is probably going to be worth upgrading just for that.. also they don't even tell me if it is windows or linux. I'm trying to install XAMPP by downloading the zip file then upload & extract it and see if I can start apache, i'm not sure if i will be able to or not..

you won't it aint your server and even if you somehow managed to install any piece of software on there, any hosting company worth their salt would have it off pretty damn quick.

Go and find yourself a package with php and mysql (should be around the $100-120 a year mark i would imagine).

Well in their reply they said my package doesn't include and php or mysql support.. so I think that means they might just not be willing to help me with it, but if I can get it installed... I don't know.. I'll probably end up upgrading.

You won't be abe to install anything on a shared hosting account, which is what you have. You can only install an app on a server when you have full access to it. The only option to get php and mysql support will be by upgrading your account to one that allows you to have PHP and MySQL Support.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.