Tools that make your (coding) life easier

artacus

Any Python coders here can appreciate the utility of an interactive shell. A tool that I use regularly is PHP Interactive, a web tool that tries to mimic that functionality. It's especially nice when working w/ php freaks because I can quickly test a piece of code, w/o having to open an editor, save a file, test it in a web page.

http://www.hping.org/phpinteractive/

For writing SQL, my favorite tool is Aqua Data Studio. They make you license the product now, but the previous version was free for personal use. The older version is perfectly functional and you can find it here:

http://download.aquafold.com/download/v4.7.2/

For Javascript/AJAX the FF extension Firebug is invaluable.

So what tools have you found that make your life easier?

Off on a slight tangent - A decent keyboard makes my coding life easier, I'm not talking about a £100 Logitech one with LCD displays, back-lighting and touch sensitive volume sliders... I invested in a premium quality, no bells and whistles, data entry keyboard manufactured by a company called Cherry. There's no rubber membranes under the keys, each key has its own tactile switch and they keys themselves are balanced, "allegedly". Very comfortable for long periods of typing.

On another hardware note, multiple screens are EXTREMELY helpful for web development, I currently have 3 17" TFTs hooked up, but will be replacing them with 4 20" TFTs in the near future...

agreed, SA. one of the reasons i can't work properly for full projects on my Powerbook is the compact keyboard (understandable) and lack of decent mouse. A full size keyboard and a infrared mouse with a clickable scroll wheel make things a million times quicker to develop stuff. They're both the models I got originally with the PC, so high quality and expensive isn't really that important to me, but still.

Best. Keyboard. Ever.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16823109149

I had been searching for a curved keyboard with full sized function and arrow keys that didn't have a fucking F-lock button for ages.  Saw these in Frys and immediately bought two of them.

Depending on how they're set up, multiple displays can be a hassle.  You really need to have a set up where you don't have to constantly turn your head or you'll end up with a neck injury.

agreed, SA. one of the reasons i can't work properly for full projects on my Powerbook is the compact keyboard (understandable) and lack of decent mouse. A full size keyboard and a infrared mouse with a clickable scroll wheel make things a million times quicker to develop stuff. They're both the models I got originally with the PC, so high quality and expensive isn't really that important to me, but still.

Yeah, laptop keyboards can sometimes be a little annoying, but for the mouse: just purchase one that can be plugged in your USB port.

my GF bought me this mouse since I first posted:

http://www.teleadapt.com/retail/products.php

It's really good - 2 buttons and a clickable rollerwheel, wireless, infrared, USB (no drivers needed for either PC or Mac), My only gripe is that when you're recharging it, you need to use 2 USB ports (one for the reciever and one for the power lead), but even still, it's fantastic.

agreed, SA. one of the reasons i can't work properly for full projects on my Powerbook is the compact keyboard (understandable) and lack of decent mouse.

Have you found, like myself (who works 95% of the time on a notebook,) that typing now on a "regular" keyboard seems almost awkward?

• 1 month later...

Any Python coders here can appreciate the utility of an interactive shell. A tool that I use regularly is PHP Interactive, a web tool that tries to mimic that functionality. It's especially nice when working w/ php freaks because I can quickly test a piece of code, w/o having to open an editor, save a file, test it in a web page.

http://www.hping.org/phpinteractive/

i downloaded the tool ages ago via this thread but i only tried it out recently.

great tool. makes life so much easier!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.