Can't see whats wrong with my code

OriginalSunny

Hi, i can't seem to find anything wrong with this code i have used, however there seems to be an error with it. The error being reported is [i]"sql_item: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ' 1,)' at line 4."[/i] The code i have used is:

$sql_item = "INSERT INTO Order_Item
(orderID,
quantity,price) VALUES
($orderID,
$value,{$row['price']})";
$result = mysql_query($sql_item,$connect)
or die("sql_item: ".mysql_error($connect));

Can anyone see what i am doing wrong?? The other strange thing is that this code begins on line 50.

insert statements can be a real pain... my guess is mysql wants you to do something with how your values are stated, I would start by adding '' around all of the varues in the VALUES() part of your query. try this
[code] $sql_item = "INSERT INTO Order_Item
(orderID,
quantity,price) VALUES
('$orderID',
'$value','{$row['price']}')";
or die("sql_item: ".mysql_error($connect));[/code]

I know it doesn't seem like much of a change, but it's worked for me before

Try this :

[code]$sql_item = sprintf('INSERT INTO Order_Item (orderID, quantity,price) VALUES (%d,%d,%f)', $orderID, $value, $row['price']);
print "QUERY - $sql_item";
or die("sql_item: ".mysql_error($connect));[/code]

This assumes that the first 2 values are decimal values, and the last is a float. If not, you need to adjust accordingly. (%s for string, %f for float, etc)

The print line above should display the query at it was built. That should give you an indication as to what the problem is. The most common problem with these is that one of the values is uninitialized and prints nothing.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.