nearly finished site, help with layout ideas

legohead6

the yellow text on a green background is not very easy to read

the green smaller backgrounds and the big blue all over background is not a very nice combination either, must be me on those colours but I dont like them together

as a suggestion - tone down the blue to say #99CCFF

change the text to black on the green

its a start

the yellow text on a green background is not very easy to read

really, hmm i dont find that.

the green smaller backgrounds and the big blue all over background is not a very nice combination either, must be me on those colours but I dont like them together

ya i might do that, it looks to pastelly..

Im also doing some css stuff and it has dramaticly changed in the last hour...

I think the layout is good. I like the positioning of everything, and the homepage doesn't need any scrolling which is great. Change the font to verdana and change some colors around. And then boom! you got a working and awesome site. Great start though.

Might want to peek at it in Opera as well.  The layout is horrid.  The colors are blinding and you can't read the text very well.  Your menu also looks choppy and doesn't work very well.

It looks like you threw this together in about 5 minutes.

Well, i cut down the margins and changed the font, im going to experiment with different text colors now to make not so blinding for those in other browsers, but since i dont have access to those right now i wont be able to put a final color.

how can i stablize things so they dont move when i shrink the screen but instead a scroll bar is created

dude, you don't seem to have acknowledged a pretty fantastic link AndyB provided: http://www.oswd.org . Even if you don't take one of their templates, you should at least find some inspiration for something that looks quite nice. This kinda just looks awful and is really painful on the eyes, as has been mentioned. It runs MUCH deeper than JUST colour and font. It's the whole ticket - colour, font, layout, valid coding, etc.

sit back and take a look at the site yourself. Are YOU happy with it?

ok, so the layout looks a little better in IE, but you really shouldn't be having these cross-browser issues anyway with something so simple. Looking at the HTML source, it has no DOCTYPE and things are all over the place. It's no wonder things are a mess and no wonder that it doesn't validate.

Personally, I'd drop what you're doing right now and put it down to experience, and move on. You will really struggle to turn what you have into something that appeals.

how do people normally go about making fancy sites? is it a picture with things floating on it? or is it usually all drawn out with css? or another language?

They start with pencil and paper - and usually throw away the first few attempts (which is much faster than coding, recoding, and re-recoding). When the 'design' is done, how it's coded is really secondary but CSS can work wonders.

ya, i have but its sure alot of code to make "curvy corners" its like a hole page, there much be a simpler way?

Huh?  OSWD has over 1000 downloadable, free, templates.  All of them are better looking than anything you've shown so far whether or not they have 'curvy corners'.  And who cares if it's a "whole page" of code to get the effect you want - it's free and downloadable anyway.

Your decision, of course.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.