Zend Users: What cool about Zend Studio?

• 4 weeks later...

actually, i don't like it.

our office purchased a few licenses a few weeks ago and I work on a linux machine so i have to use the Java version and it's so slow.

personally i prefer vim though it's not an IDE.

There's two things that are ok about it though...one is SVN (although you can set up SVN in vim with some configuring) and the Code Analyzer. other than those two, i really don't like it. i feel like it's too bloated. the only reason i use it is because it's a part of our coding standards specification.

plus, zend's customer support is very slow :/

I use Zend studio, and I like it a lot. It's not perfect though.

Advantages:

- Code completion.

The code completeion feature is pretty awesome. It also takes into account any of your custom classses within a defined project, properties within a class, etc.

- Code analyser

Very handy feature that lists any possible problems with the code in a file before you start the actual debugging.

- Debugging

Features remote debugging as well as an internal debugger.

- Inspector

Handy list of classes, properties and constants in a file or project. Doubleclicking takes you to it's definition.

- Build in features that are cool but I haven't used yet

PHP Documentor

Not an amazing feature, but should prove handy nonetheless.

CVS and SVN support

WSDL generator

If you want to create a SOAP server, Zend releaves you of the tedious task of writing a WSDL file. I did try it, and it really can't get any easier.

Stuff that annoys me:

- Code completion to persistant

Sometimes you just want to move to the end of the line. If you have a list of autocompletion options, you can't use 'end', you need to press 'esc' first. I'd also wish it was a little more smart about quotes, but I haven't come around an IDE that is.

- Slow

Sometimes it's slow. It takes forever to start and shut down, and sometimes it will not respond for a couple of seconds. Long live Java... ::) I have the same problems with Visual Paradigm for UML, which 'incidentally' is also written in Java.

Apart from the startup and shutdown, these problems present themselves only occasionally. I can live with it.

Stuff that I'd like but it doesn't have:

- PHPUnit test case generator

Now that would be really cool, and save the trouble of writing tedious testcase classes.

- Rearrangable tabs

Spoiled by FF, I sometimes forget that position of the tabs is static...  :P

Advantages:

- Code completion.

The code completeion feature is pretty awesome. It also takes into account any of your custom classses within a defined project, properties within a class, etc.

- Code analyser

Very handy feature that lists any possible problems with the code in a file before you start the actual debugging.

- Debugging

- Inspector

Handy list of classes, properties and constants in a file or project. Doubleclicking takes you to it's definition.

PHP Documentor

CVS and SVN support

WSDL generator

If you want to create a SOAP server, Zend releaves you of the tedious task of writing a WSDL file. I did try it, and it really can't get any easier.

Stuff that annoys me:

Sometimes you just want to move to the end of the line. If you have a list of autocompletion options, you can't use 'end', you need to press 'esc' first. I'd also wish it was a little more smart about quotes, but I haven't come around an IDE that is.

- Slow

Sometimes it's slow. It takes forever to start and shut down, and sometimes it will not respond for a couple of seconds. Long live Java... ::) I have the same problems with Visual Paradigm for UML, which 'incidentally' is also written in Java.

Apart from the startup and shutdown, these problems present themselves only occasionally. I can live with it.

Now that would be really cool, and save the trouble of writing tedious testcase classes.

- Rearrangable tabs

One of the most useful features I have come across is that when one of your classes gets large (large to me is more than 3k lines of code - I'm still somewhat new to PHP) it can be a hassle trying to find different functions inside your class. If you're on a page, say member.php, and you have an object called $usermanager, any method you're trying to use can be accessed by holding down alt and clicking the method name. That will take you straight to the method you're using.

Example:

$userMgr = new UserManager;

$in_username = $userMgr->filter($_POST['in_uname']);

$createuser = $userMgr->createAccount($in_username);

If "filter" and "createAccount" are defined in the UserManager class and that class file is open, you can hold down alt and click on filter in the code above and be take to the actual location of the filter method. Same for createAccount.

Sorry if any of my terminology is incorrect. I'm still new to OOP and it's terminology :)

I'm not sure what you mean, but I'll try it out.

Something else: you have classes of 3000 lines? You're definitely doing something wrong.

This is my first actual full php project. I'm breaking the HUGE class into multiple classes. Some will be extensions of the main class. I just saw one example of a class and I started working with it from there. After I got everything working, it's time to optimize :)

Advantages:

- Code completion.

- Code analyser

- Debugging

- Inspector

PHP Documentor

CVS and SVN support

WSDL generator

Stuff that annoys me:

- Slow

- Rearrangable tabs

PhpED has everything you listed there espect CVS/SVN support and WSDL generator(I don't use WSDL's very often anyways).  It also allows you to rearange you file tabs and best of all it's much faster and less buggier(Built in c++ not java).  the only thing that Zend studio has that PhpED does not is code folding but with PhpED 5, it will support code folding.

It rocks on OS X.

It ran a little too slow for my liking on my xp box with comparable hardware.  I actually prefer it over textmate because of it's auto-completion (including user defined objects, functions and variables).

That is wierd since the mac ox form what i here onyl have the java runtime of 1.5 and the newest is 1.6. 

Let me just say that the Zend Studio is a good editor but I think they made a very poor choice is using java to develop it.  I think they just wanted to make it easier to port to other OS's but i think the performce hit they have with java is a real good reason for why they should have developed it is C++.

oh one other thing that i like about Zend Studio is that it will add the PHPDoc tags for you with the required parameters. You just have to fill in the details.

• 3 weeks later...

oh one other thing that i like about Zend Studio is that it will add the PHPDoc tags for you with the required parameters. You just have to fill in the details.

Yeah, definitely. It even takes into account type hinting. My only wish is that when I have an argument $string, it recognizes that the argument is probably intended to be a string.  ::)

Zend Studio is the Coolest editor I've ever seen

The coolest features in Zend studio is its Code folding style.

Its Debuging.

Its red color underlining on Wrong cods.

the 3rd one helps me a lot when I edit others PHP codes to find the Errors.

But the only 1 problem is that it slows down My PC. and thats why for emergency purpouse like testing or making some codes to post in the forums I dont use zend studio I use Notepad++ in those cases.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.