index.php?page=news.php (Include function)

pandacrusader

Alright, I've done this before, and it's taking a lot for me to remember exactly how it was done. In a perfect world, one would go to the index.php page consisting of:

[code]<?PHP

include ('top.php');

if (!$page)
{
    $page = "news";
}

include ($page . ".php");

include ('bot.php');

?>[/code]

And be automatically shown the top third, the content in the middle, and the closing third. The links to other content then look something like this:

[code]<li><a href="index.php?page=news">News</a></li>[/code]

However, the result of this script is an include error that's now creating too busy of a server for me (my host must love me =) ).

Any ideas why it can't find the correct file to include? I'm sure it's just a simple matter of syntax, it's been many a moon since I last coded. Thanks much in advance, PHPFreaks has always been timely and decisive!

- Icbat

try something like this:
[code]
<?php

include ('top.php');

// first, set a default to drop to if there isn't one in the URL
$page = isset($_GET['page']) ? $_GET['page'] : 'news';

include ("{$page}.php");

include ('bot.php');

?>
[/code]

basically, you've got to remember that whatever page you're trying to include is also in the same directory, but otherwise, you should be golden.

• 1 year later...
[quote author=obsidian link=topic=87665.msg352331#msg352331 date=1141691454]
try something like this:
[code]
<?php

include ('top.php');

// first, set a default to drop to if there isn't one in the URL
$page = isset($_GET['page']) ? $_GET['page'] : 'news';

include ("{$page}.php");

include ('bot.php');

?>
[/code]

basically, you've got to remember that whatever page you're trying to include is also in the same directory, but otherwise, you should be golden.
[/quote]

I tried using this, and it didn't work. I am wondering why. Also, how do you go about putting a default and be able to change what $page is?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.