How do I do variable depth menus?

supertanker

I am designing a site (as usual) which will be a freeware directory.

How would I make a menu of main catagories, that someone could click, and then go through as many sub-catagories as needed, and how would I have one of those "you are here" bars along the top with MySQL?

Like, I want to be able to click "Games", and then "FPS", and then maybe some other catagory, (but no fixed 'depth'), and I would like it to be able to keep track of where I am...like the bar on the top of this page:

> PHP Help Forums > PHP and MySQL > PHP Help

I've been at this for 6 months but I am stumped here....

[!--quoteo(post=352332:date=Mar 6 2006, 07:31 PM:name=AndyB)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(AndyB @ Mar 6 2006, 07:31 PM) [snapback]352332[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Breadcrumbs is what they're called (as in Hansel & Gretel). A good php example/tutorial can be found [a href=\"http://www.zend.com/zend/spotlight/breadcrumb28.php\" target=\"_blank\"]here at Zend[/a]
[/quote]

Wait, I can't really divide my site into directories. Is there a way to do it with files instead? In fact, the main part will be powered by a single file...

Should I just put the 'depth' in the URL?

What about multi-level menues? I am aiming for something around the looks of SourceForge

[!--quoteo(post=352334:date=Mar 6 2006, 07:38 PM:name=supertanker)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(supertanker @ Mar 6 2006, 07:38 PM) [snapback]352334[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]What about multi-level menues? I am aiming for something around the looks of SourceForge[/quote]
You might want to take a look at some pure CSS multiple-level menus - at [a href=\"http://www.tanfa.co.uk/css/examples/css-dropdown-menus.asp\" target=\"_blank\"]www.tanfa.co.uk[/a]. Simple, fast, clean, cross-browser, etc.

[!--quoteo(post=352337:date=Mar 6 2006, 07:52 PM:name=AndyB)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(AndyB @ Mar 6 2006, 07:52 PM) [snapback]352337[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
You might want to take a look at some pure CSS multiple-level menus - at [a href=\"http://www.tanfa.co.uk/css/examples/css-dropdown-menus.asp\" target=\"_blank\"]www.tanfa.co.uk[/a]. Simple, fast, clean, cross-browser, etc.
[/quote]

Still not quite what I was looking for, but that might be good...

I meant like I click a catagory, it loads a new page with subcatagories, ect.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.