No ADSL!

trq

Not happy.

Weve (my gf and I) have just moved into our new house and for the past few weeks my isp has been telling me that there is a problem at the exchange and I would need to wait for my ADSL, ok, I waited.

Today they contected me to inform me that my phoneline is pair gained and I am unable to recieve ADSL. I contacted the telco who controlls all the infrustructure and they info me that they can not give me a transpositional line because of our location. (We are nested within a small group of houses at the end of a 2km dirt road).

Fine. I start looking at wireless. Nothing will reach my area. Im foobared!

I run (ran) several webservers and a mail server (not to mention the fact that its pretty difficult to maintain several gentoo boxes without a decent connection) from my home and now, nothing.

Guess I should have looked at all this before we bought the house, not that it would have stopped me, nor is it really possible untill a line is connected. I love the home and the area, but sheesh, Australia is so far behind when it comes to broadband its not funny. We have one major telco controlling all the infrustructure (Telstra), but because of compitition they have been regulated that much that they cannot move forward.

So yeah.... I gues I may not be around so much anymore. Not till I find a solution anyways.

How about a connection through the TV signal cable? We've got that. Or maybe fiber optics?

Your kidding? This is Australia. There is no cable in outer metro. Im an hour north of Sydney.

Sux.

Im looking into ISDN, but it really doesn't look good.

Well, a T1 is just a series of ISN connections apparently. Ive been reading up on all this. But no, a T1 is out of the question. A single ISDN (128kbps) is more expensive than adsl.

Apparently I might still be able to get a new ADSL essential line connected, it just meens a few dollars upfront. I'll be making some calls tommorow.

Ok... this is still dragging out. If anyone is interested, here is a letter Im about to send to our telecomunications industry ombudsman. Its the full story (my side) of how incompetent our major service provider is.

Sorry its rather large.

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing to you to detail an incident which has occurred whilst I was dealing with a Telstra sales representative (Ben) over the phone.

For the past 12 months or so I have been using a smaller service provider (Iinet) to supply my telephone and ADSL service to my home. On the 26th of February this year I moved house and a week prior to this I had contacted Iinet to tell them I wanted to move my service to the new premises. A week after we moved into the new house I was contacted by someone at Iinet and they informed me that they where unable to complete the relocation of my ADSL because my phone line was pair gained. I made inquiries as to what I could do about the pair gain line but had little success. Finally someone at Iinet suggested that I try to get a new ADSL essential line through Telstra. ADSL essential apparently meaning that the line would be guaranteed not to be pair gained.

I rang Telstra’s sales department on Monday the 19th of March to ask for the new telephone line, and specifically asked that it not be pair gained. The sales person I spoke to (Ben) informed me that there was no such connection available as an ADSL essential and that he could not guarantee a new line would not be pair gained. I then explained my situation in regard to my ADSL not being able to be connected and he stated that Telstra had a technology that would enable them to connect me either way. He said that 9 out of 10 of his customers had successfully connected ADSL with a pair gained line.

He then went on to suggest that if I moved my telephone and ADSL back to Telstra we could apply this technology and hopefully get my ADSL connected. I agreed that it sounded like a good option and we went through the sales procedure to switch my phone and internet over to Telstra / Bigpond.

Once we had finished the procedure Ben gave me a reference number and a telephone number. He then informed me that within the next 5 to 10 working days someone would call to (most likely) inform me that ADSL was not available due to my line being pair gained. He said once I got this phone call I would need to call the number he provided me with, quote my reference number, tell them I had had an ADSL application rejected and that I wanted them to look into it.

Three days later on the 21st of March I received a phone call from Telstra informing me my ADSL connection had not been successful because my line was pair gained. I called the number as Ben suggested, quoted my reference number and asked the gentleman to look into my application. He immediately replied that I would need to let the customer know that the ADSL connection had not been successful because the line was pair gained. I replied that I was the customer and that I was aware the line was pair gained when I made the application. The gentleman was quite surprised and informed me that the number I had dialled was an internal Telstra service number and that he was not meant to be contacted by customers directly. I explained to him that Ben had led me to believe there was a technology available to work around the pair gained issue and informed him of the steps I had been told to make in order for this to happen. He then explained that an ADSL connection was definitely not available on a pair gained telephone line and suggested that my sales representative (Ben), either did not know what he was talking about or had intentionally misinformed me.

We ended our conversation and I hung up extremely unsatisfied. The more I thought about what had happened it was becoming increasingly clear that Ben had intentionally misinformed me to try and get me to reconnect my phone with Telstra. He had not only told me of a service that would appear to not exist, but had also told me that he had had some previous success connecting other customers using this service.

I have gone into great detail and I thank you for taking the time to read my letter. I realise that this may not help me with my ADSL connection woes, I do however hope that it may point out some of the extreme lows it has become apparent that Telstra will go to too misinform and deceive customers into switching to there service.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if any further information may be required in this matter.

You need line of site for wireless. I have two mountians in the way.

Trust me, Ive looked at most all the options. The next will be satalite, but I'll have to give up an arm or two.

wow :/

where about in Australia are you located?

and do you have any valuables in the house and a burglar alarm? :)

Central Coast. One hour nth of Sydney would you believe.

and do you have any valuables in the house and a burglar alarm?

Yes I have valuables. Probably 10G worth of musical gear, not too mention my 6 computers and all the rest of our stuff.

Why would I need a burgler alarm? Im at the end of a 1-2klm dirt road, on a complete waterfront property. feeling as safe as houses.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.