56 members have voted

1. 1. Hours spent coding?

• 0-1
    • 1-3
    • 3-5
    • 5-7
    • 7-10
    • 10-20

I was on the fence between 7-10 and 10-20. I generally spend between 10-12 on weekdays between my FT job and personal projects, but that's been a little less over the last couple months since I've started doing more meetings/planning. On weekends, I'm down around the 4-6 hour mark, so that kind of wrecks my curve, too ;)

• 2 weeks later...

it's not my job, but I just really love working with PHP and MySQL... even tho I'm still a rookie... I guess on a good day I spend aprox 10-20 hours... but the other day here I didn't sleep for about 35-36 hours and I was coding almost the whole time =) *addicted? nah ;D*

if you've got the time to do it as a hobby, or just got the time full stop, you really need to try and curb your hours. I too have found myself seriously putting in some serious time - yet when I look back at the day at how much i've done, i tend to find that my longest days are the least productive.

well... i started out really good, managed to start making some stuff in MySQL (that was the day I started with MySQL)... and the first 15 hours i was really productive and from there i was riding on a one way ticket to chaos...

i was actually going to reply on a post here... think i was going on the 30th hour or something... and what I ment to type was

"maybe someone more experienced could give you some more info"

what i wrote (i didnt post it)

"maybe someone more experienced ? black snipping"

something like that...

link=topic=131817.msg573253#msg573253 date=1176431252]

i was actually going to reply on a post here... think i was going on the 30th hour or something... and what I ment to type was

"maybe someone more experienced could give you some more info"

what i wrote (i didnt post it)

"maybe someone more experienced ? black snipping"

something like that...

Ahhh, fun with sleep deprivation! ;D

I too have found myself seriously putting in some serious time - yet when I look back at the day at how much i've done, i tend to find that my longest days are the least productive.

Oh, so, so, so true. I would much rather have 4-5 hours of focused time to spend on a large project than to have 12-14 hours where my mind is wandering. I've learned that when I get to the point that I'm struggling to keep my mind focused on the problem at hand, I'm better off setting it aside for a day, or even a week at times, and coming back to it with fresh eyes.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.