How to get last results out of my DB in order

Toni_montana

Hey there,

This is my case. I have an mysql db in which names are stored. Some of them have a rating, some don't. Now i want to make a top 10 based on this rating. But i also want to show the 10 last ones. (i exclude the ones without a rating from the top10).

Now this is where i'm stuck because i also want to have the 10 last ones in a descending order. (So ORDER BY rating DESC LIMIT 10) won't do. I'll have to resort the result i get from this.

Anyone any ideas?

Rogier

If your MySQL is 4.1 or greater you should be able to add another ORDER BY, basically a subquery:

[code](SELECT * FROM table ORDER BY rating DESC LIMIT 10) ORDER BY rating[/code]

I think that works but I can't remember trying it. If it doesn't, you can just make it a real subquery and put it in the FROM:

[code]SELECT f.* FROM (SELECT * FROM table ORDER BY rating DESC LIMIT 10) f ORDER BY f.rating[/code]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.