what to do before you start off programming?

ignace

I am not sure, that i am posting this in the correct section. But because the whole idea will be mostly "object-oriented".. So:

The Problem:

Before i start of programming my application, i make sure i have got a complete UML-diagram of all my classes, and a database model diagram, however this is still not enough, because i mostly end up with NULL...

What i am asking:

Which steps should i take before i start off programming? What diagrams should i be using? How can i make sure my code will be reusable and extendable? How do i make it extendable? What are layers, and how do i use them (domain layer, security layers, abstraction layers, ..)? ...

If you could just give me a step-by-step guide that would be terrific, the only problem is, that their is no such guide on the net! I am not asking you how i need to program, but everything you do before you start programming! what diagrams do you draw?, or what do you write down on your notepad? ...

any help is greatly appreciated (also if you know alot of technical words and know what they mean (eg: critters, etc..), may be posted aswell)

thank you in advance

One advice.

Dont think too much about diagrams and all that.

Just jump on ur sit and start the coding.

U will automatically get ideas. U will know what is the problem, how to solve it. Doesn't matter if its not right first time. U have fix, refix and refix. At one time u will make right.

But if u think too much u will get nowere. Do the thinking while u code. U willbe amaized to see an structure is automatically being made. U just have to modify it to make best.

I always create diagrams. I don't know about other programmers but I always draw a simply diagram. This is because it gives you an idea beforehand. So you don't completely do a horrible job by just simply adding things in as you go. Now, when I make a diagram it is simply and fast. Don't waste five hours to just draw it, do a simply sketch and get going on it. The idea is to have all your ideas down on paper and reference to it, so you don't miss anything.

As you go, you will fix and change the design. And thats good. That is the whole idea of "programming."

I find pen and paper + my pda are the best source of planning in the early stages after that I build a few basic diagrams to give me more direction before I start. Once I start I make prototypes to test out ideas and see what ones are better than others before creating something i would even consider anywhere near ready.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.