Critique?

mreish

Well - you have a problem if someone has quotes in their name and tries to Join. The usual Magic Quotes problem.

http://evcircuit.com/outbound.php?siteID=asd

Oh mamma. Is that asking for sql injection?

As for your contact form - its at fault too.

If you enter the details correctly, enter the spam key etc. and click submit, it goes through and you say "Thanks for the email..." F5 now a 100 times will spam you and possibly whoever else's email I tried to inject into the script.

-steve

Here's how I was cleaning up the user input.  Is this incorrect?

function sanitize($variable){
$variable = str_replace("",";",$variable);
if(!get_magic_quotes_gpc()){
	$variable = addslashes($variable);
}
return $variable;
}

I seem to recall seeing that template before. Is there a point in getting critique on something you did not make?

...it looks like businessman's template that he used

@mreish - If you are not good at designing, why don't you hire someone to do that for you instead of using a template?

Hi Chris,

Yeah, thank's for the feedback. I am good at designing but as I said in my follow up I did the PHP stuff behind the template for this site.

I try to read through the entire thread before I reply and I think that's good advice for all.

So, let me state this again just to be clear:

I did not make the pretty design. I did, however, build the PHP behind it and I would once again like to thank Steve for his help.

I know, I DID read that you only programmed it. I was just merely trying to say that if you don't like design...get someone else to do it for you :). If you just wanted to test the functionality we do have a forum for that. (For future reference...please do not double post)

Ah, I was unware there was a forum for that. I saw 'Critique' and assumed it was the right place. I see my error now.

I don't want to get bad Forum JooJoo so let me ask about the double post.  If we find there was something else we wanted to share (even it it is 5+ hours between posts) must we wait untill there's another reply? If that is the rule then doesn't it seem a little silly as someone may have wasted time on a solution that could be wrong without the added info?  I originally looked for an edit button to change my previous post but didn't see one.  Did I miss it?

lol nah you're ok for now. when Chris mentioned double posting, it was pre-empting that you may go off to the Beta Test forum and post the same topic as this one. Hence he mentioned "for future reference".

critique would generally involve people looking at the site and thinking "wow, that looks good" or "damn, i'm gonna yaff up my guts if i see that page again" and outlining their thoughts. in this case, all there is to say is "there have been 2 or 3 other sites posted very recently that use the same template from the same people with no modifications. Check their critiques out so we dont go over the same ground."

beta testing would be more concerned with trying to smash your site to pieces (ie, testing the back-end stuff, security, injection, functionality, etc not literally smashing it to pieces ;D ) so that you can fix up security, functionality, etc.

as for your current site, i'll just paste from my above example:

there have been 2 or 3 other sites posted very recently that use the same template from the same people with no modifications. Check their critiques out so we dont go over the same ground

it looks good, but same old. if you're good at designing, then do yourself a huge favour and knock up something new, or (at very least) go find a not-so-popular template.

Hope that all helps

Cheers

Mark

if you want us to beta test, post in beta test and suggest what might be worth testing.  If testing involves having some kind of account, set up a dummy testers can use without registering.

if you want a new design (of your own) critiqued, post in the critique forum.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.