[SOLVED] Cell Phone PostinG

Ninjakreborn

I have a client who wants a custom classified ad system.  Which is fine, however he mentioned he wanted the ability for people to be able to post those ads also with a cellphone.  I think he means text messaging or something, what i was thinking was wondering how to arrange this.

• The ability for users to post information through there cell phones

Is this going to be hard or easy, where do I look for something to allow me to set that up.

Is it bad that I would turn down half of the requests your clients make?

I agree with that about the cell phone idea. For the amount of programming that you would have to do for only a few people to use??? Doesn't seem worth it for anyone. Let me put it into perspective so maybe you can explain it to your client. Who is going to fill out a classified ad on their cell phone? How long will that take someone to fill out an ad? ... Too long. No one wants to sit with their phone for 30 min to fill out an ad that they can do in 5 min or less in front of their computer.

So, I offer this to you...Bring up the idea to your client that you can offer SMS alerts and notifications.

1. User signs up

2. User makes ad

3. If user chooses they can get text message notifications if someone "shows interest" in their add, maybe ad hits per day, if someone replies to the ad

4. Notifications on other ads if something changes...example: user1 posts an ad for a table for $100, user2 wants to "watch" the add (something like ebay), user1 doesn't sell it for 2 weeks and drops the price down to $50, the system now sends a SMS message to user2 stating that there was a price drop on an ad that he was watching...user2 logs into the site and sees the ad and buys the table

...obviously that was the quick and dirty explanation but I think you can take it from there. But do you see how you can flip a "bad" idea around to possibly get your customer more excited about what you can do for him? That means more features for him and his site and more work and $$$ for you...

Hope this helps

I went ahead and turned it down, it was for around less than 700, for that and a full classified ad system (custom, he requested custom), and I asked a friend of mine, my original quote of 1800 was denied, and we negotiated to lower, but I backed out.

Thanks for the advice ,I figured that it would be too difficult to do that for it to be worth it (especially within that price), thanks again.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.