desithugg

//$user_id = "1";
define("user", $user_id);
function battle()
{
echo user;
}
battle();

I want to make it so the variable/constant user is defined for every function by default but the above didnt work

can i do anything instead of having to do the fallowing each time

function battle($id)
{
echo $id;
}
battle($user_id);

well it won't work because you've commented out $user_id.

try uncommenting it.

also, you don't have to surround the value for $user_id in quotes.

- if you have to use quotes, use single quotes where possible.

- PHP doesn't bother too much with the 'type' (integer, string, boolean, array, etc) of a value. when you surround a value in quotes, the reader would assume you're trying to convert it to a string. There's no need to convert a number to a string.

In your case, PHP would handle the number 1 as a string anyway (correct me if i'm wrong, anyone) so there's really no need for the quotes.

Well actually the comment was just there to tell you guys what the variable $user_id contains and you're right there's no need for the quotes the real $user_id variable is fetched from the database, when i try to echo it outside of a function like

echo $user_id;
//it outputs 1 (my id in the database)

but when i do this

function something()
{
echo $user_id;
or
$query = mysql_query("SELECT * from users where id = '$user_id'") or die(mysql_error()); 
$row = mysql_fetch_array( $query );
$email = $row["email"];
//the query is just an example i have really long codes and it might be too much to read
}

but yeah it doesn't work withing functions and I didn't test this before

so it will take me too long to change all the files and functions plus i have to do them by web ftp since my computer is being stupid and wont allow ftp clients like smart ftp or anything...

so yeah I tried to define it as user too but that still didnt work...so any idea?

it's odd that it didn't work for you. i'm not sure why unless you made a typo because it is valid code and the following worked for me (i tried it out the other day before i made my first post in this thread):

<?php
$user_id = 1;
define("user", $user_id);

function battle()
{
echo user;
}
battle();
?>

if your file structure is such that your function is in one file and you define $user_id in another file, it's possible that you may not be including them properly.

anyway, i'm glad to see you've got it working.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.