lanparty site

ober

[a href=\"http://lanparty.whproductions.com\" target=\"_blank\"]Lanparty Central[/a]

I threw this together about a year ago for some buddies of mine to schedule lanparties and let other people know about times and what to bring, etc.

I recently changed the look. What do you think? I know it's not super fancy, but I was kinda proud of how the banner image came out.

[!--quoteo(post=352863:date=Mar 8 2006, 02:41 PM:name=ober)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ober @ Mar 8 2006, 02:41 PM) [snapback]352863[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
[a href=\"http://lanparty.whproductions.com\" target=\"_blank\"]Lanparty Central[/a]

I threw this together about a year ago for some buddies of mine to schedule lanparties and let other people know about times and what to bring, etc.

I recently changed the look. What do you think? I know it's not super fancy, but I was kinda proud of how the banner image came out.
[/quote]

the banner image, just as you think, looks very good. there's only a few things that don't hit me as great.
1) the blue border kinda spoils the banner image. i think either lose the blue border, or make the banner stretch over the border so that the main area looks like a 'hanging container'.
2) i'm not mad about the style of each item on the LAN party schedule, although i like the way they work. i can't put my finger on it exactly, but my feeling is that again, it's something to do with its border.
3) i've mentioned this before, but i think you didnt take up on the idea as "not everyone has javascript". but something I like to do myself (and like to have happen on sites i visit) is for the first field of every form to focus automatically. in short, this saves me even having to use the mouse or press tab 20 times before i get to the first field.
4) as with number 3, this is my preference (as you'll know very much by now lol) but being able to click the banner image to go 'home' is always something i expect to be able to do on a site.

in all, i think it's nice and clean, easy to get around, and understand, which i guess is the most important thing. apart from the above, it's pretty spot on.

Cheers
Mark

Thanks for the input Mark.

The blue border will be going away, along with the generally "blue" color scheme. The blues are left-overs from a previous design, and I haven't gotten around to updating them. I was just so geeked about how the banner image came out that I had to post it. I suck at graphics and that's gotta be one of the best little tricks I've been able to pull off.

I know I brought up the thing about "not everyone has JS enabled", but I can't stop using it. I'm actually thinking about replacing the current structure of the index page with an AJAX function to bring up the party schedule info. That'll involve JS as well.

I always forget about the banner image link... I'll take care of that too. I'll fix up the forms as well with the first-item-focus thing too... I forget to do that as well.

It looks ok, but what's so special about the banner? Isn't it just a screen shot with some horizontal text? Is the text meant to look a little blurred and pixelated to seem as if it blends with the water? I see you jacked the suckerfish drop down menus. Are you in the process of developing now? Because the menus are with the exact options as the suckerfish example and seem to be broken on the right side. I guess I can't tell much more because I can't get to any pages.

Yeah, I know the banner isn't the best ever, but I suck at graphics... gimme a break.

And yeah, I'm jacking the suckerfish dropdowns... I quit in the middle of the conversion last nite, so it's kinda screwed up at the moment.

I guess you guys can ignore this thread until I do more with it. I'm redesigning the colors and how the site works.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.