What Does It All Mean?

TylerL

So, I've been trying to get into PHP and programming in general but I can't seem to do it. I'm an avid reader, an avid programmer who has XHTML, HTMl, XML, CSS and PHP under my belt but a lot of the things don't really make sense to me. Like the news posts on this site, stating something like a new Zend Framework has been released, what does all this mean? What does it have to do with things like programming php, etc.

Keep in mind Im a newb to the community, not to programming in general :)

I don't really know what the Zend framework is either, but I'm an excellent PHP programmer. :) I do have a faint idea though.

Zend is the base engine upon which PHP is built, it's sort of a sub-project, like the kernel of an OS. It provides a lot of common functions and a general framework for the people who write the PHP engine. You don't really need to worry about it when writing PHP scripts.

In software development, a Framework is a defined support structure in which another software project can be organized and developed. Typically, a framework may include support programs, code libraries and a scripting language amongst other software to help develop and glue together the different components of your project.

The main idea on frameworks is, that there is an almost ready to go application, which you can use and expand for your own demands. frameworks work in the way: "don't call us, we call you", means, you develop extensions and additional functionality, which will be used by the framework.

Other notable PHP frameworks are:
Blueshoes
Seagull
Prado
CakePHP
Mojavi
Ajax AC

Note the Zend framework is NOT the same as the Zend Scripting Engine which is the php processor.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.