GTK

Ekate

MySQL is suitable for desktop applications though. I've used it once for a VB.NET database app.

But yeah, PHP-GTK is intended for desktop applications. So typically you wouldn't use Apache.

While MySQL may certainly be used for persistent storage in client applications it does introduce a fairly cumbersome system requirement. 

LOL... :D

No, not really. Another reason was it easier to integrate a pre-setup database in the NSIS installer for the app. It didn't require any extra registry keys etc either. I just used NSIS to install the service (with a customized name), setup registry keys for the whole of the app and done.

Yes that increased the required diskspace by a good 50 meg, but size wasn't really an issue.

Admittedly I didn't look into the requirements to integrate MSSQL. So maybe you do have a point. I just assumed MSSQL would be harder to integrate.

Anyway, wasn't this thread about PHP-GTK? By my own rules posted in the 'READ ME' sticky the topics should be relevant to php...  :-X

• 3 weeks later...

GTK is used to write standalone client side GUI apps.  You wouldn't use Apache / MySQL. 

Best,

Patrick

GTK is actually not used to write standalone apps. What you said is basically that all GUI apps are standalone and that is not true most businesses rely on their database and as a result so does their software.

I would imagine most GTK apps are actually backends to various web pages.

What you said is basically that all GUI apps are standalone and that is not true most businesses rely on their database and as a result so does their software.

LOL - That is not at all "basically" what I said. 

The OP was talking about using GTK within the confines of a webserver.  By using the word "standalone" I was merely trying to assert that PHP-GTK is used to create client side GUI applications which do not rely on a web server (you would be surpirsed the number of people who do not believe that a PHP application can exist outside of Apache).  I think that the OP was under the impression that PHP-GTK operates in a manner similar to GWT or ECHO2 in Java, I was just trying to clear up his confusion. 

I'd be curious to see what percentage of PHP-GTK apps were created solely as backends to webpages, if the total number approached 25% I would be very surprised.

Best,

Patrick

sorry if i took you out of context its 6am here so you go figure.

I agree with the people who think php should not exist out of apache to an extent, php should expand but if I ever see a phpgtk app for sale there is no way I would ever buy it for a whole bunch of reasons.

when it comes to php backends I think most gtk apps are backends or people just playing around to see what it can do. PhpGtk after all was originally a proof of concept.

I forget what linux distro it is but one of them released a php package manager with their distro but personally I prefer synaptic (that is coded in python with pygtk)

But all this said I dont think php will ever create standalone apps because

1. interpreted

2. gtk has to be installed on the computer running the app

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that PHP-GTK is a proof of concept.  Anything that can be created with PHP-GTK can be written in a language better suited for application development i.e., C++  (or Java if portability is a requirement).  I've admittedly never used PHP-GTK, but I've always been under the impression that it was for people who thought: "Hmmm... it'd be cool to write minesweeper in PHP".  I did however once come across a PHP-GTK Unit Testing front end that seemed like it might be of some practical use, or not.

Best,

Patrick

Thank you very much for your opinion,I really very appreciate it.

So,recently I'm doing some coding work using php-gtk2,it's new experience for me...

I want believe that everything will be ok and I'll do my project soon.

Again,thank you very much,

all the best regards  ;)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.