Looking for free PHP hosting site

nss

Hi,

I'm looking for a free hosting site (do not mind having adverts) for the purpose of receiving form data via email. I've tried several sites via google search such as freewebtown and tripod, however many sites that claim they offer PHP do not have PHP installed or the mail function enabled. If you know a host where PHP mail function works then please let me know.

Thanks,

NSS

If it's not about the money, you'd do much better to give ace-host.net 7 USD a month and get infinitely better service. A free web host is going to pepper your website with ads, provide low quality service, and offer next to nothing in the way of tech support.

• 2 weeks later...

GODADDY.COM YEAH!

Best thing every. Great hosting plan for about 4 dollars a month. Great service, awesome php, asp, and other language support, great email support. Pretty much everything! Or, buy a domain from them for about 9 dollars, and get a free hosting account to come with it. Limited ads, all great possibilites!

i've tried some free hosts that supports php, but now i'm buying my own domain... cant even use the mail() function on any of those free hosts.. reaterded... so, that's it... transering money to my paypal as soon as next paycheck arrives =)...

Maybe this whole subject rubs me wrong just because of my enormous monthly hosting bill. Please keep in mind that someone is paying for that hosting. That could be you or the hosting provider, either way someone has to pay. Now as far as not being able to send mail with a free hosting account, I understand that completely. There in no way that I would let a free hosting account use my mail server. They would be lucky to be able to use php.. :P

hehe =) i can understand that... and ofcourse you can get away with a free host in the beginning.. be if you want to become more advanced you just cant use a free host... it will only result in holding you back... but yeah ofcourse... in the beginning a free host is ok...

ace-host is that good huh?

i might give them a try then. i have been with Dreamhost for a while...they were good initially but i'm having a really shitty time with them right now.

before i purchased an account, i told the sales team my requirements and one of them as PHP running as an Apache module and they guaranteed that but now, it only functions as a CGI and apparently this is because they can't monitor stats when it runs as an Apache module.

frankly i feel cheated :/ i wouldnt mind if their rates were cheap but their rates have doubled (190USD per year i think) and their support services have dropped as well apart from a few members of their staff. they don't even bother to read the support ticket history sometimes so i have to begin from the top everytime a new support member takes his shift :/

i'll mail ace-host and ask them...i know i can't live without PHP as an Apache module and full SSH access so i hope they have it.

yeah, i was quite shocked at how quickly their sales team responded.

unfortunately, their packages don't quite suit my needs :/

i require the following:

* SSH/Shell access

* Apache module installation of PHP 4 or 5 (with PEAR. I should also be able to request for a PHP extension to be loaded if I need it)

* Need to be able to host two domains on it

* 5GB HDD space

* Approximately 50GB Bandwidth

* MySQL or PostgreSQL

Subversion would be really nice but it's not necessary.

but they don't provide a shell. they also run PHP as a CGI.

too bad though, they seem like a customer oriented company at first impression.

Can I inquire why you absolutely need PHP to run as an Apache module?

I'm surprised they don't offer shell access... especially on the dedicated servers.  And they have several PEAR extensions loaded by default, even on the shared plans.

Can I inquire why you absolutely need PHP to run as an Apache module?

I'm surprised they don't offer shell access... especially on the dedicated servers.  And they have several PEAR extensions loaded by default, even on the shared plans.

wel, i'm trying to learn Apache. i use a lot of it's modules...like mod_rewrite, etc. besides Apache is faster and even for PHP, more things work in Apache like Basic Authentication for example...also there's so many things about .htaccess that makes life so easy. and there's are some things related to HTTP headers also i believe...that i can't quite remember

regarding shell access, this is what they told me via email:

For your protection, Acenet does not provide shell access on shared hosting servers to anyone. This is a policy that had been enacted by our security department several months ago to improve the quality of service offered to our clients. Our server loads and performance have noticeably increased since this has been put in place. Shared hosting accounts can utilize all included features through cPanel; there is no need for shell access on a shared hosting account. As mentioned, this practice is in place to uphold server security and performance, as such we cannot offer exceptions.

PHP and PEAR are both independently installed on the server as CGI's.

i don't really need cpanel to administrate anything. the main reason i need a shell is i do a lot of remote editing via vim and i manipulate the files via SSH a lot so not having a shell would feel like i've lost an arm :/

any suggestions for a cheap but reasonably priced VPS?

i'll try godaddy now.

i called site5 last week but everytime i called their sales reps were busy and it was an international call so i didn't hang on for long :/

Oh wait, you're looking for a shared server with shell access? I doubt you'll find any decent host that would do that! I only assumed you were looking at a dedicated/vps solution. Besides that... you were paying $190/mo for the requirements you listed? That's insane!

And while having shell access might be nice, it's just as quick and easy to manage with FTP/cpanel. I'd personally sacrifice the shell access to avoid the cost of a VPS/dedicated server. I mean seriously... look at this plan and the amazing freakin prices: http://www.ace-host.net/hostingplans.html That's my current plan.

I don't know what to tell you about the module vs. cgi part. I use .htaccess on their servers and mod_rewrite doesn't really have anything to do with PHP.

And for the love of God... please stay away from godaddy.  I've been around with them and not only does their customer support suck, but their control panels are less than desirable, IMO.

I don't know what to tell you... I've never had performance issues with their servers.  I've been with them for almost 3 years.  I moved from a 5Gb (also with ace-host) plan to this one and haven't looked back.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.