Looking for free PHP hosting site

nss

Oh wait, you're looking for a shared server with shell access?  I doubt you'll find any decent host that would do that!  I only assumed you were looking at a dedicated/vps solution.  Besides that... you were paying $190/mo for the requirements you listed?  That's insane!

And while having shell access might be nice, it's just as quick and easy to manage with FTP/cpanel.  I'd personally sacrifice the shell access to avoid the cost of a VPS/dedicated server.  I mean seriously... look at this plan and the amazing freakin prices: http://www.ace-host.net/hostingplans.html  That's my current plan.

I don't know what to tell you about the module vs. cgi part.  I use .htaccess on their servers and mod_rewrite doesn't really have anything to do with PHP. 

And for the love of God... please stay away from godaddy.  I've been around with them and not only does their customer support suck, but their control panels are less than desirable, IMO.

actually, i mistyped. i was paying 119 USD for a host with a similar config. not exactly those configs.

yeah i could use FTP to transfer files, etc. but the thing is, i prefer to do my editing on the remote host itself. so i would log into a shell and then use vim to edit the file on the server. that way i dont have to upload a file everytime i make a tiny change.

actually you're right about .htaccess. i forgot that Apache as a CGI also accepts .htaccess. sorry about that. but i don't think mod_rewrite will work on Apache as a CGI. but i'm not sure about that, must look that up.

lol i called godaddy the other day, this girl answered, she was a bit confused when i told her my requirements but then she checked with someone and began to answer me but gave me the wrong details. but hey she had a cute voice so i didnt really mind hehe

i've got a buddy using godaddy's super deluxe account. doesn't seem to have any problems with it..but he only uses it to backup his OS files.

im looking at acer net.....

it might just be me, or is the shared hosting more storage etc than the reseller? and cheaper!!!!!

i recomend dailyrazor or arvixe.  theyre good from what i can tell...... but i havent been with them.  im also looking for a host, paid with decent storage, no more that 10$ AUS

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.