Replies in the Freelancing

jeremywesselman

I just wanted to comment on how users are not reading the rules for posting in the freelancing section. I don't know about a lot of people, but I check phpfreaks.com often for freelancing work. About 15 - 20 times a day actually. And lately, there have been a lot of people replying in the freelancing section which is a big no no.

But it seems lately that the mods aren't maintaining it like they used to. They used to edit every post with a message explaining to users that they should not post replies and that they should contact the author of the post via an email or by pm.

It seems that they are not editing these posts anymore and the replies are building up.

I just wanted to see what was going on and if anybody else gets aggravated by this.

[!--coloro:#990000--][span style=\"color:#990000\"][!--/coloro--]Jeremy[!--colorc--][/span][!--/colorc--]

thanks for the note. those of us that do regular the forums still definitely feel a bit overwhelmed at times with the amount of mess to clean up. i'm one of those that used to clean out the section every time, and i've really slacked off recently (although i have deleted a good number of posts from freelancing recently). i'll try to be a bit more proactive.

thanks for expressing the concern!

Thanks mods. You took care of the problem very quickly.

I can understand how difficult it must be to keep up with all the posts that are being posted. A suggestion might be to get some more moderators, but that is probably up to phpfreak.

Anyways, thanks for taking care of the freelancing section and all the sections for that matter.

[!--coloro:#990000--][span style=\"color:#990000\"][!--/coloro--]Jeremy[!--colorc--][/span][!--/colorc--]

I don't know if "more" moderators is the answer... maybe replacing some of the current ones with active people (although I might get the axe in that case, even tho I do use my power from time to time).

No matter how many times you put up guidelines or instructions or warnings, people continue to ignore them. As they say, "the trouble with idiot-proofing is that they're building better idiots every day".

Two solutions - 'more' activity by moderators (who occasionally have real lives); or - if it's possible with IPB - apply a tweak to that (sub)forum to prevent replies altogether, i.e. a read-only forum. That would be my preferred solution as it's passive and needs no moderators to control the people who can't read/don't care.

[!--quoteo(post=353710:date=Mar 10 2006, 03:38 PM:name=AndyB)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(AndyB @ Mar 10 2006, 03:38 PM) [snapback]353710[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]apply a tweak to that (sub)forum to prevent replies altogether, i.e. a read-only forum. That would be my preferred solution as it's passive and needs no moderators to control the people who can't read/don't care. [/quote]

I've thought of that - maybe automatically lock a thread after the first post?

Then the user would have to get a mod to unlock it in order to bump it, though...

I just wanted to thank all the mods for the quick turnaround in the freelancing forum. You all are doing a great job keeping up with it. Thanks for all of your help in every forum on the site. I will be making another donation to phpfreaks very soon.

Another way would be to only let the member who posted the topic originally edit and add new replies. This probably wouldn't be too difficult to implement. Just add some code to disable the reply button unless you are a mod or the topic starter.

Thanks again,

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.