Data Format

barney0o0

Sorry, i know its been discussed on numerous occasions in the forums, but my head hurts for the simpliest of things.....

How do i change the code below to change the format from 2002-12-27 (database format) to 27 December 2002(pulled down display format)?

SELECT eventTITLE, eventDATE
FROM events
ORDER BY eventDATE ASC

...or would it be more efficant to change the format in php prior to pulling down the results?

Thanks in advance

[!--quoteo(post=353184:date=Mar 9 2006, 08:47 AM:name=barney0o0)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(barney0o0 @ Mar 9 2006, 08:47 AM) [snapback]353184[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Sorry, i know its been discussed on numerous occasions in the forums, but my head hurts for the simpliest of things.....

How do i change the code below to change the format from 2002-12-27 (database format) to 27 December 2002(pulled down display format)?

SELECT eventTITLE, eventDATE
FROM events
ORDER BY eventDATE ASC
...or would it be more efficant to change the format in php prior to pulling down the results?

Thanks in advance
[/quote]

I prefer to manipulate my date formats with PHP.

[code]
$query = mysql_query("SELECT eventTITLE, eventDATE FROM events ORDER BY eventDATE ASC");
if ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($query))
{
   do
   {
      $date = date("d/m/Y", strtotime($row["eventDATE"]));
   }
   while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($query));
}

[/code]

Cheers lessthan for your response....I had i play with your sugesstion, but as im using dreamweavers behaviours to display the pulled down data i got in a bit of a mess....

Ive now played and searched around and come up with:

SELECT DATE_FORMAT(eventdate2, '%D/%M/%Y') AS eventdate2, eventTITLE,paratext
FROM events
ORDER BY eventdate2

that produces

7th/February/2006
Music night2
Intro text

Is there a way to remove the forward slashes and replace with a space?

many thanks

[!--quoteo(post=353290:date=Mar 9 2006, 11:06 AM:name=barney0o0)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(barney0o0 @ Mar 9 2006, 11:06 AM) [snapback]353290[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Is there a way to remove the forward slashes and replace with a space?

many thanks
[/quote]

sure, just adjust your DATE_FORMAT function:
[!--sql--][div class=\'sqltop\']SQL[/div][div class=\'sqlmain\'][!--sql1--][span style=\'color:blue;font-weight:bold\']SELECT[/span] DATE_FORMAT(eventdate2, [color=red]'%D %M %Y'[/color]) [color=green]AS[/color] eventdate2, eventTITLE,paratext
[color=green]FROM[/color] [color=orange]events[/color] [color=green]ORDER BY[/color] eventdate2
[!--sql2--][/div][!--sql3--]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.