total nub

spkenn5

hi guys. first off, i have put my interest since long long ago but finally last 4 days i finally able to get my apache working, and have php,mysql installed... i want to make a site that looks similar to this [a href=\"http://ee.domaindlx.com/SpSClan/kenn5-world/index.asp\" target=\"_blank\"]http://ee.domaindlx.com/SpSClan/kenn5-world/index.asp[/a], i want to get the member thing to work so people can sign up and be a member to download or w/e or to get a full access at the site.

is there a tips for me? for now im just trying scripts after scripts.

thanks

[!--quoteo(post=353264:date=Mar 9 2006, 10:15 AM:name=spkenn5)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(spkenn5 @ Mar 9 2006, 10:15 AM) [snapback]353264[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
hi guys. first off, i have put my interest since long long ago but finally last 4 days i finally able to get my apache working, and have php,mysql installed... i want to make a site that looks similar to this [a href=\"http://ee.domaindlx.com/SpSClan/kenn5-world/index.asp\" target=\"_blank\"]http://ee.domaindlx.com/SpSClan/kenn5-world/index.asp[/a], i want to get the member thing to work so people can sign up and be a member to download or w/e or to get a full access at the site.

is there a tips for me? for now im just trying scripts after scripts.
thanks
[/quote]

I would suggest reading some of the many tutorials located on this site already. There are a few that I can recall that tackle the exact topic you are after. After you read the membership tutorials we have here, you'll soon get the hang of how memberships work and will begin to implement yor own ideas to make your site work the best.

One tip I could give you is, if you want to make people have to log in to download things, the easiest way (for me, IMO) is to have a download script that will first check if the person is logged in (by either checking session vars, or however you get your membership system running), and then having it process the download request.

[code]
//goodies.php
echo "<a href='download.php?id=1'>Download item one!</a>";
[/code]

[code]
//download.php
if(!$_SESSION['user']) {
   echo "You must login first to download this item!";
   exit();
} else {
   //code to start the download; probably using header()
}
[/code]

Now that's pretty rough, and I simplified a lot of things, but that basically is how to get people to login before downloading material. Like I said though, as you become more effecient with PHP and membership systems, you can start implementing your own ideas and writing more advanced code. Good luck! :)

[!--quoteo(post=353316:date=Mar 9 2006, 01:06 PM:name=Flinch)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Flinch @ Mar 9 2006, 01:06 PM) [snapback]353316[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I would suggest reading some of the many tutorials located on this site already. There are a few that I can recall that tackle the exact topic you are after. After you read the membership tutorials we have here, you'll soon get the hang of how memberships work and will begin to implement yor own ideas to make your site work the best.

One tip I could give you is, if you want to make people have to log in to download things, the easiest way (for me, IMO) is to have a download script that will first check if the person is logged in (by either checking session vars, or however you get your membership system running), and then having it process the download request.

[code]
//goodies.php
echo "<a href='download.php?id=1'>Download item one!</a>";
[/code]

[code]
//download.php
if(!$_SESSION['user']) {
   echo "You must login first to download this item!";
   exit();
} else {
   //code to start the download; probably using header()
}
[/code]

Now that's pretty rough, and I simplified a lot of things, but that basically is how to get people to login before downloading material. Like I said though, as you become more effecient with PHP and membership systems, you can start implementing your own ideas and writing more advanced code. Good luck! :)
[/quote]

Thanks a lot, i will start reading the tutorials =)

if i have further questions, can i ask you again here?

[!--quoteo(post=353364:date=Mar 9 2006, 03:06 PM:name=spkenn5)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(spkenn5 @ Mar 9 2006, 03:06 PM) [snapback]353364[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Thanks a lot, i will start reading the tutorials =)

if i have further questions, can i ask you again here?
[/quote]

definitely! that's what we're here for. start by reading a few of the ones so that you don't have to ask questions that have been covered multiple times, but if you do, don't worry too much about it. we've all got to start somewhere. there is a forum dedicated to questions about the tutorials, too, so if you want to post specific tutorial questions, that would be the place to do it.

otherwise, come on back here, and i'm sure you'll find lots of willing help!

good luck

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.