Some One Help Please

skatermike21988

I am a complete newbie to php. i have been working on learning for about the past 2 weeks and i am wanting to learn how to make mysql databases to have data stored.

I run a hosting compony has a home business and when clients come in to make a purchase i want it to be where they start their purchase and then have to register a username and password etc. and i want to give them the availability to see what they have purchased in their control panel area etc. but i do not know how to make the databases and how to send information to them. Currently i have one hosting website. it runs off of pure html coding. i just recently purchased another domain and am wanting to make that one with the php. If some one could please guide me in the right direction to find help on this or give me an exmple with a basic explanation it would be greatly apreciated.

Mike

always good to hear, more users the better... you do have quite an app ahead of you if you don't have prior programming skills. php.net will help you a great deal for starters. if used in an intelligent way it should answer all/most of your questions for your ordeal. what's your level with mysql?

I now what mysql does and all i just don't know the php code to use to connect and what to do to create the tables and etc. i am very new to it all and it all seems very interesting to me. i know about the basics to php. like variables, echo statements, if statements, and else statements everything else from there i am lost :(

If you would like to see what i have accomplished. (just learning by myself) you can visit
[a href=\"http://www.manateehost.com/hosting.php\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.manateehost.com/hosting.php[/a]

[!--quoteo(post=353556:date=Mar 10 2006, 09:30 AM:name=Skater Mike)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Skater Mike @ Mar 10 2006, 09:30 AM) [snapback]353556[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I now what mysql does and all i just don't know the php code to use to connect and what to do to create the tables and etc. i am very new to it all and it all seems very interesting to me. i know about the basics to php. like variables, echo statements, if statements, and else statements everything else from there i am lost :(

If you would like to see what i have accomplished. (just learning by myself) you can visit
[a href=\"http://www.manateehost.com/hosting.php\" target=\"_blank\"]http://www.manateehost.com/hosting.php[/a]
[/quote]

Good job so far my friend. :) Keep it up!

There is a hell of alot to learn and realisticly the only way to learn it is to use a lot of time.

One thing you might want to look at is form validation (i.e making sure fields contain what you want them to contain and that compulsory fields are not left empty

For the mysql stuff, the first functons you will want to look at are:

mysql_connect()
mysql_select_db()
mysql_query()
mysql_fetch_array() & mysql_fetch_row() & mysql_fetch_assoc() <-- these do similar things

You can find details of how to use them and what they do on the php.net site.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.