SATA and IDE not booting as expected

Koobi

Hi,

I have Ubuntu installed on my 160GB Maxtor SATA and a friend of mine lent me his 80GB Maxtor IDE drive.

I set the IDE drive to master and set it up as a primary drive (i also tried slave and cable select) but it attempts to boot through the IDE instead of the SATA.

The problem is my friend's IDE has a corrupt installation of Ubuntu.

I'm not too sure about boot priorities when using an IDE with a SATA so can someone tell me how I could fix is so that I could boot via SATA and access the IDE via SATA?

I'm on an ASUS board, by the way.

Thanks for your time.

What happens when you go through GRUB? I'm guessing you have (hd0,x) where you need (hd1,x), or vice-versa.

i'm at work right now so i can't check. but i recall only seeing the kernel versions along with a memtest listing in the grub menu (grub's menu.lst).

i don't think my GRUB has a listing of the IDE since i installed the OS with SATA and only connected the IDE the other day.

perhaps i should 'grub-install' again?

my aim is to backup the data on the IDE. someone suggested using the ubuntu live CD to boot and mount both disks and copy from IDE to SATA. i might give that a try.

do i have to use any special parameters for a SATA using the mount command?

Not that I'm aware of, but I haven't mounted a drive in a linux box for over 3 years, so you can safely ignore me ;)

hehe well here's an update.

now booting the 80GB IDE with SATA didn't work. so i got a hold of a working 10GB IDE and booted it with SATA and the system booted into my SATA.

i then mounted the 10GB IDE and i can access the drive. however, the 80GB IDE doesn't even boot up past the point where linux mounts root partitions. i'm hoping that my friends 80GB HDD hasn't crashed because i have also backed up some critical data on it :/

I'm guessing your 80GB hard drive failed with an error similar to "Kernel panic: VFS: Could not mount root fs at hd0,0"? That means that the kernel doesn't have support for A) The bus the hard drive is on, meaning a generic (or vendor-specific) IDE driver, or B) The filesystem on the root partition as specified in GRUB. This can be easily fixed by booting a live cd, mounting the hard drive partitions AS WELL AS /dev and /proc as shown below, and chroot'ing into the environment. You can then reconfigure your kernel.

You may also have to edit menu.lst to accomodate for differences in partition tables.

The commands I promised, assuming your root partition is mounted at /mnt/os:

# mount -o bind /dev /mnt/os/dev
# mount -t proc none /mnt/os/proc

i don't think it was A because I've installed Ubuntu on this same IDE HDD a while ago using my motherboard to show my friend how it worked.

It can't be B either because I'm trying to boot from SATA right? And my GRUB is only mapped to my SATA.

the thing is, i couldn't even boot through live CD with the IDE connected. it seems like connecting this IDE slows things down...there must be some physical damage to it since it has worked fine before. any idea what this could be? i'm really crappy at the whole hardware thing :/ i just know how to turn the PC on and off hehe

I tried booting SATA and IDE again, and I left it for a long time...after about 10 minutes, it finally started progressing and it booted. I'm going to try and mount the IDE manually and I hope I can access it. Fingers crossed neylitalo!

i forgot about this thread :)

well i managed to mount the drive and backup what I wanted. i'll run an e2fsck over the weekend and see if there's any physical damage.

don't uncross those fingers yet neylitalo

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.