A question of taxation

ijasont

I am creating a simple game using PHP. One of the games really just a string of radio buttons.

My question:

Is it LESS taxing for my server to store all the \"name\" Value\" data in a file or place variable that link to the Name and Value to the db?

in other words. I will not be changing this info much at all and the file will be accessed a LOT. Should I place the Name and Values in my db or leave them in the <form> as is?

Thanks for the help:

Jason

If you mean lookup values, I\'m prejudiced towards keeping that type of stuff in the database. This is what is generally referred to as having a \"data driven\" design.

In general small tables like these should be cached by the database, and retrieval is as close to instantaneous as the database can be. There are many different things that can become a bottleneck in an application, and I\'ve found it\'s best to create the system first, then tune around the bottlenecks, rather than to assume you know what the bottlenecks will be and start making design decisions based around those assumptions.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.