floppy disk linux distro that lets me burn cds

s0c0

A co-worker of mine works in data conversion, often the only way he can get data off a clients old (and i mean old) server is through burning data to a disk.  So what he needs is a floppy-disk based distro like a live floppy linux that will boot up in memory and allow him to write data to a cdrom.

Any ideas?

Your not going to find much in the way of bootable floppies now days, take a look at the slax liveCD though, it has a boot option to load itself into ram then eject the cd. But really, if these machines are that old, there probably not going to run real well when slax uses all the ram.

yeah for SLAX you need something in the excess of 300MB RAM to copy to RAM in order to eject the booting media.

you can also run SLAX on a USB, however, i don't think you have that option.

technically you should be able to boot at least an old lite kernel from a floppy.

i just googled and found this:

linux on a floppy

USB won't work since he would be mailing these floppy's to clients and then walking them through the cmd line over the phone.  Yikes, but thats his solution lol.  I suggested live cd distro's but he his never sure how much RAM they will have.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.