Query `syntax` or just syntax ?

flyhoney

It appears that mysql queries work without the `` most of the time, but sometimes it complains, why?

works most of the time:

$query = "SELECT * FROM table WHERE this='$that'";

but sometimes complains and needs:

$query = "SELECT * FROM `table` WHERE this='$that'";

why?

So maybe my table name is a reserved word?  That makes sense.  Sorry, I took the time and did a little more googling and it seems there are several reasons backticks are necessary, I guess I'll just get in the habit of using them.  Never seemed to be a problem on DB2 or Oracle.  Thanks.

So maybe my table name is a reserved word?  That makes sense.  Sorry, I took the time and did a little more googling and it seems there are several reasons backticks are necessary, I guess I'll just get in the habit of using them.  Never seemed to be a problem on DB2 or Oracle.  Thanks.

I have never found quoting necessary but there usage is probably good coding practice.

I disagree -- if you get into the habit of NOT using them, you'll learn the reserved keywords and never have a problem.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.