Inserting a text file into a page

st3a1th

Hello i am trying to insert a text file into a php document i have tried the following, however it only gives me an empty doc.

<embed src="http://www.destructiveforce.co.uk/npc.txt" width="640" height="480">

any help or ideals would be greatful

If all you want to do is include the file the code is

[code]<?php include("filename"); ?>[/code]

Now if you mean you want a pretty little scrollable area, then I would suggested a <div></div>.

[code]<div style="width: 600px; height: 600px; overflow: scroll;"><?php include("filename"); ?></div>[/code]

Now I do strongly recommend you do not use inline styles, but I didn't feel like making a code called stylesheet.css and then showing you how the code would look in the page. You'll just have to wing it on that one or jump over to the CSS forums and ask for further guidance.

[!--quoteo(post=354092:date=Mar 12 2006, 06:00 AM:name=txmedic03)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(txmedic03 @ Mar 12 2006, 06:00 AM) [snapback]354092[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
No, keeB, no one said it was ever going to be anything more than text. It may be just technical data or something. Either way would work, but you must not assume anything...
[/quote]

follow that link to see what it is.. and even if it weren't that, if it were technical data, there would be no harm in encapsulating it as a .php instead of .txt.. I can't think of a reason not to.

[!--quoteo(post=354119:date=Mar 12 2006, 07:36 AM:name=txmedic03)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(txmedic03 @ Mar 12 2006, 07:36 AM) [snapback]354119[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Which is just exactly what I said keeB. It will work fine either way, but they asked for an include of a text file without stating any intentions.
[/quote]

And I advised to consider changing the .txt into a .php file to add the option of further enhancing in the future..

Which I simply stated was not needed. You are giving them extra work changing X number of files and rewriting all scripts to use .php extension when, if they do not plan on adding anything more than text, it is just extra work on them.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.