layout critique

jcombs_31

I've got to agree with redbullmarky on this one. Overall, it's a very, very nice design job. I'm not fond of the 01, 02 and 03 being hidden partially by the text, but the idea is pretty cool. i wonder if there is a better way to implement it? The only other thing I'm not sold on (and this is picky of me), is the solid background color behind "our location." I love what you're trying to do with it, but I think something with more of a contrast (possibly a little more red to it?) may make the distinction more clean. It looks just a little funny to me.

Otherwise, I think it's great work, and I look forward to seeing the design take on web shape.

Ok, try the menu now, you may have to refresh to clear  your cache.  Obsidian, I'm not sure about the location box.  I wanted to create some seperation and left some space for a possible image/icon.

Another thing I'm still working on is the logo.  Not sure about it yet.

as for the logo, it was looking good in your post specifically about it, but it looks very good now it's in context.

menu/nav looks  better now, and you COULD live with that. but maybe worth, even if just for elimination sake:

a) getting rid of the leading zero

b) putting the numbers back behind the text but with a semi-transparency thing going on.

IMO though, even if you left it as it is, it'd still be a cracking job in all.

Cheers

Mark

Is that image going to be centered on the users browser or is the bgcolor the browser window and everything else centered on it?  Just wondering because if that is going to be centered in the browser window, the BG color for the overall page will need to be set, you don't mean to leave it white do you?, and perhaps have a shadow effect surrounding the border of the actual content area to make it look like it sets up off the page.

It's just a jpg, I always start this way.  I'm dissapointed that the client went out on his own and had a sh!tty looking logo created by some online logo service.  I don't understand why he would do this because I told him that I was going to send multiple options for him to choose from.

Two things I'm not so sure about:

1) The icons (email, lock/shield). I don't think they fit in with the rest of the design.

2) Numbered links on top

I personally don't think one should use ordered lists for anything but ordered content (which might have a navigation function as a secondary function though).

I tend to like graphical bullet points in trend with the theme. Here's an example, reusing the mouse in the logo (which is pretty nice btw):

[attachment deleted by admin]

I appreciate the effort, but I can't say I'm a fan of the changes you made. I've actually made a lot of progress with the site but have not uploaded any changes yet.

448191, I really like the design you suggest, but IMHO, I don't necessarily think it's an improvement over what was already there for this theme and design. I like both of them, but the proposed change seems much more rigid, fixed size and dependent on imagery to setup the content size. The one that jcombs has seems like it will be more flexible. I also like the original navigation and shield logo a lot better, but that's just a matter of opinion.

Valid points, but then my post wasn't intended to suggest redoing the whole design. I just got a little carried away in doing the nav.

However, this isn't true:

but the proposed change seems much more rigid, fixed size and dependent on imagery to setup the content size. The one that jcombs has seems like it will be more flexible.

jcombs' is also fixed width.

There are some things in my design that I don't like either though. But the logo already looks a million times better when you move it to the left of the headerbox, with the mouse on the right side, next to the text in the logo.

Again, I just got a little carried away. I am not implying that jcombs needs this amount of help or whatever.

However, this isn't true:

but the proposed change seems much more rigid, fixed size and dependent on imagery to setup the content size. The one that jcombs has seems like it will be more flexible.

jcombs' is also fixed width.

Sorry... didn't mean the width. I meant that it appeared to be expecting a static height on most of the things...

Again, I just got a little carried away. I am not implying that jcombs needs this amount of help or whatever.

Hope I didn't come across wrong. I really like both designs, but I just figured I'd throw in my 2 cents ;)

Sorry... didn't mean the width. I meant that it appeared to be expecting a static height on most of the things...

Can you be specific? If referring to the center content, it is the result of using the center image. There's not much to be done about that, other than not using it...

Can you be specific? If referring to the center content, it is the result of using the center image. There's not much to be done about that, other than not using it...

Right. I know that there's not much that can be done for the top portion, and therefore, I'd expect someone to design as you both have: for a specific set of data. You could always have an overflow: scroll on larger content there, although that gets a bit clunky, too. I was referring also to the "company info" down next to the contact info. Because of the nature of the design, that also looks very static. If the company info were ever to grow beyond that one paragraph, it looks as though it would break the layout.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.