[SOLVED] simple noob question

Stickybomb

I have been using php for a while now and as always am looking to delv more deepily into the language. Recently i have been looking into making some modifications to the phpbb forums software. However i ran into some code i have not seen before or rather used. Normaly i would just do a search but i am clueless to what i should search for. Basically they are using something like the following...

this->

It appears to be passing something or storing something, but like i said not really sure what to look up information on. So if anyone could please point me in the right direction I would appriciate it.

Thanks Sticky,

it might not help your cause a great deal, but take a look anyway: http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,96282.0.html

(sometimes knowing how to say it will help you figure out what it's for)

nikkieijpen, $a->$b would reference the variable in object $a that has the name of the value of $b, rather than $b itself.

$b = 'dog';

$a->$b is then pretty much the equivalent of writing $a->dog

to reference the variable $b that belongs in object $a, you need $a->b .

using $this is a way of referencing a function/variable from within the object itself.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.