Rename of uploaded file

brown2005

I have a script that uploads a file from someones computer to my server.

say the file i have is 3.JPG

when i upload it, i want to change the name of the file to 1.JPG or 2.JPG to conincide with the id of the person uuploading the image.

any ideas please

toplay: Edited title to be more meaningful.

$upload = move_uploaded_file($_FILES[u]['picture'][/u]['tmp_name'], "[u]/home/www/htdocs/[b]$id[/b].jpg[/u]");

$_FILES['picture']['tmp_name'] is the temporary name on the server, change picture to the name of the form element that you are uploading with.

/home/www/htdocs/$id.jpg is the location, change /home/www/htdocs/ to match your file system structure, $id would be the variable holding the identification of the person and, of course, .jpg is the extension. $upload will be 1, if the upload was successful.

[i]EDIT -> Let me clarify the above, ['tmp_name'] should not be changed, it stands for the temporary name that the server is using to store the uploaded file, uploaded files are always moved to a temporary file and then moved to a permanent location. It doesn't pass the filename the user put in, if you wanted that name, it would just be ['name']...but that is useless unless you want to preserve the same file name; the only element of that code that will need changed is ['picture'] and the location and variable of the final location, as underlined above.[/i]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.