Which is more efficient for a forum?

LanceT

Having little knowledge of efficiency, I was wondering which would be more efficient for counting a user's number of posts for a forum.

Option 1

Selecting the total number of posts and topics that the user has made

Option 2

Having a user field that keeps track of the number of posts and topics, which is incremented / decreased every time a post is made or deleted.

Thanks.

Creating the proper indexes on the table will yield negligible performance increases in storing the users posts in a field. Not to mention, it's a PITA to have to keep updating the number of posts a user has using method 2.

My recommendation is option1.

I must agree with KeeB, hands down option 1.

A smart database will cache your query and it will only be costly the first time the query is called. In addition, you can set the field in a session. The cost should be negligable.

Do not try to optimize the database with fancy tricks unless you know it will have a significant performance gain. Let the database do what it is intended to do. Optimize only if needed....

A smart database will cache your query and it will only be costly the first time the query is called. In addition, you can set the field in a session. The cost should be negligable.

Don't really know how to cache queries, does mysql do this automatically or do I have to setup something different?

Please help!

Don't really know how to cache queries, does mysql do this automatically or do I have to setup something different?

Please help!

I'm not as familiar with MySQL/PHP, but most databases I encounter, can do stored procedures. In some languages you can also specify to cache the query, for ColdFusion that is with cachedwithin attribute and for Java/JSP you can use PreparedStatements.

Perhaps, somebody else can shed some light on how to do this in PHP/MySQL. I'm sure they have an equivalent or do some Google searches.

Hope this helps...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.