[SOLVED] What does it take to make you turn down a contract?

obsidian

This question is for those of you who meet some, if not all, of the following requirements:

• You do at least some level of personal contract work
  • You hold yourself to some level of professionalism and web standards
  • You actually review your proposed projects with your client before you jump in
  • You are willing to turn down contracts if the client isn't willing to work within your defined structure

Here's a question for you: what does it take for you to turn down a client/contract? I have recently been involved in working with a real estate project where, thankfully, I didn't have to communicate directly with the client. However, as a help to a friend, I volunteered to sub-contract some of the design and templating work for him since he's not super familiar with the UI end of things. To make a long story short, after submitting two full designs (both reviewed and approved with flying colors by our resident designer), the client shot them both down in lieu of a depressingly crappy layout that looks like he threw it together in notepad.

Now, after I gave myself the weekend to cool off a bit, I reviewed the scenario, and we basically are up against a guy that wants to micromanage every aspect of the site, and no matter what I push up the channel and recommend, he's going to shoot it down unless we use exactly what he wants (even down to the graphics he did himself).

Anyway, I backed out of the project today simply stating that there's no sense in him paying for something he's planning to do himself anyway. I'm still working with my friend to help him on individual pieces that he needs help with, but I refuse to have my name associated with something of that quality. Am I out of my mind here, or is there a certain level of pride you all find yourselves having to take in your work as well? Anyone else ever had to turn down a project/contract because the client refused to take any advice and live up to the standards that have been laid out?

... he's going to shoot it down unless we use exactly what he wants (even down to the graphics he did himself).

I wouldn't turn anything down on that basis.  The person who's paying deserves to get what they want (subject to it being defined/quantified before a price was agreed).  Imagine going to the showroom and picking out the perfect blue car and being told by the salesman that you couldn't have it because blue was a horrid colour.

The professionalism in your scenario requires that you explain why/how what the client thinks s/he wants may be less effective than what you would otherwise propose.  Politely and constructively explain - they hired you for your professional opinion so be prepared to give it and back it up with facts.

If at the end of the job the client 'sees the light', you'll be perfectly positionned to request additional fees for changes.  If they are happy with the end result and you're not, remove your name, take their money, and move on.  The important part is that you've got their money :)

AndyB, I can genuinely see the logic in that. I guess what I'm having a hard time with is understanding why a client would pay to have a design drawn up and then refuse to let us do it for him. It may simply be my pride getting in the way, but I feel like I'm stooping to a new low to even publish the things he's drawn up... it's probably something I just need to get over. It's kind of like at work when you're told to do a job and then not allowed to do it yourself...

The only reason I normally turn down projects is because people request help "on the cheap".  I refuse to do work for less money than I would expect to pay for any other similar type of service.  That doesn't mean I won't offer "discounts" to people I know, but I still make it worth my time.

I have run into situations like you've found and it's rare when I can't turn the situation in a direction I'd like it to go.  I'm kinda with Andy on this one, I guess.  Ultimately, the customer is always right.  If they want something that looks like crap, that's what you give them, but you shove all kinds of ideas down their throat about why you think it is bad and how much they're paying you for your professional opinion.  Normally they bend... obviously sometimes they don't.

If all else fails, I've been know to post their garbage and leave my name out of the source/credits and leave it out of my portfolio.  And I almost always place a disclaimer on anything I'm "iffy" about showing others that the client requested the design and I had no control over it.

Agreed with the above statements.  Ultimately, the client gets what the want. You have to find a way to persuade them otherwise if possible, but in the end it comes down to money. If you aren't happy with its appeal, don't add it to your portfolio, but definitely take a paying customer.  I would only turn down a job if the client doesn't want to pay up for the services rendered.

I would say it depends on your current or potential workload.

If you have a choice between client A, who represents the scenario you're describing, and client B, who represents the scenario that you get to create a truly wonderful site worth adding to your portfolio, I think it's a no-brainer.

You might even be able to turn their bad design to your advantage if the client is happy.  Let's say you had stayed on board with that project.  You could still add it to your portfolio with the phrase "implementing their design."  That clearly states that you had no part in the design, only the implementation, and you always want to be associated with a happy client.

Also, as a CYA policy, if you are really against the design, I'd have "implementing their design" as part of your contract.  That way, if they later realize how much their design sucks but you've already done a ton of work, you won't be stuck with a loss having to redo the design on your own dime.

Imagine going to the showroom and picking out the perfect blue car and being told by the salesman that you couldn't have it because blue was a horrid colour.

While you make a good point, I don't think this is a good analogy.  It's more like going to a car manufacturer and asking them to design a great car for you.  They come back with something like a Ferrari, but you don't like it so you hand them your own design and say, "No, make it my way."  You end up with a car like the one Homer Simpson designed.  Should the manufacturer still do it even though they're embarrassed to put their name on it?

I'm willing to build an ugly site if that's what the client wants and pays a normal price for it.  But I'm not willing to build a poorly functioning site (as a programmer it simply frustrates me too much).  My name doesn't directly appear on these sites.  When a client wants to see samples of my work I show them the best looking and best functioning sites.  So the ones I'm not proud of don't hurt my reputation.

Thanks for your input, all. Based on the consensus here, I've come to the conclusion I'm just too picky when it comes to work I will put out. I agree that it is ultimately up to the customer how crappy they really want their site to look, and there's nothing stating that I have to have my name attached to it if it doesn't match up to my personal standards.

Looks like I've got some growing to do ;) lol.

Thanks again for the input.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.