Encrypting PHP source

It is not an editor you are after but a specialized encoder. The most popular being ionCube and Zend Guard. Encoding your PHP source code is not cheap or easy to do for free. I am sure I have not seen any free PHP source code encoders.

Why do you want to encode your source code for? Are distributing your own PHP script?

If you are worried people will be able to see your PHP source code when viewed from a web browser, then don't worry as no one can see the PHP source code, all they see is the generated output from the PHP script when they go to View > Page Source or when they go to download the page.

The only way someone can get to see your source code is by downloading the PHP file via FTP. In order to do that they must know your FTP username and password.

If you are using a free shared host then no one can come in to your "section" of the shared host, unless you give them your sites username/password

If you are using the free host for doing business then I'd recommended you go for a premium host. You can get good cheap premium hosting for around $10 p/month or less.

• 2 months later...

The correct term you're thinking of is Obfuscation. Since PHP is not a compiled language, the best you can hope for is to make it such a tedious task, no one would bother.

Google uses this approach in Gmail.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.