[SOLVED] strings help

digitalgod

are you certain that the last 4 digits will always be numeric?

if so, you can try this:

<?php
    $old_code = 'WLK0001';
    $new_code = substr($old_code, 0, 3) . (substr($old_code, -4) + 1);

echo $new_code;
?>

it might be better for you to throw in a is_numeric() or, better yet, ctype_digit() function in there too.

i'm sorry, i just realized i've made a mistake. since the code i posted is adding a decimal number, you will get WLK2

what you could do is use str_pad()

<?php
    $old_code = 'WLK0001';
    $added_num = substr($old_code, -4) + 1;
    $new_code = substr($old_code, 0, 3) . str_pad($added_num, 4, '0', STR_PAD_LEFT);

echo $new_code;
?>

but this is also not tested so try it out and let me know.

Is there any reason you don't break it into two fields?

You can always concatenate them as you pull from the database and pad the number with leading zeros for numbers less than 1000.

well it's a PO number from an invoice, there are 3 types of invoices and each type starts with it's own 3 letters followed by the digits..

Thanks Koobi it works perfectly

In our software we have what's called an option number, which is really a concatenation of a trade code and an actual number.

In your SQL you can do:

SELECT CONCAT( field1, LPAD( field2 ) ) AS PONum FROM ...

To pull the data in the format you wish to use it.  But separating the fields will give you advantages down the road when you wish to sort  ;)

Of course, you can work with the system you have an all will most likely be well.

usually, an SQL string manipulation would work faster than a PHP string manipulation so you might want to give roopurts method out. but since it's a CONCAT function, you might want to take a benchmark and compare the two results.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.