Can this be done with tables?

solarisuser

Hello All,

I'm attempting to have two tables, with one being centered in the middle of the page, and one to the left of it, with in the width of 1000px (entire page has a width of 1000px).  Is there a way to have the table on the left (ie - not the table in the center of the page) exist without pushing the centered table to the right?

I know CSS can do this with "position:absolute" but then different resolutions will see the table-turned-div on the left in various places, so I figure tables is the solution?

Please help, I'm going nuts!!

Thanks

GGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

another rant on the way!!!!

Sorry Andy but I have had no where near enough coffee today............

Tables are for eating you dinner off (and displaying tabular data). Divs and CSS are what you need for layout...

I need a hug.....................

Heh, I went in gung-ho about using CSS, until I realized that 1024x768 and 1280x1024 see things differently, at least the way I coded it.

<div style="float: left; position: absolute; width: 150px; margin-left: 0 auto; padding: 1em; text-align:left;">

Any problems that stick out?

margin-left: 0 auto; - can only have one value;

float: left and position: absolute - choose one or the other...

screen resolution is on of the reasons you should uss a css layout. either choose a fixed width site or (my preference) choose a fluid layout with %'s for widths.  This is a learning curve for you - go and play with it; you will learn far more by trial and error than you will simply getting answers to questions - ask only when you are really stuck...

Good luck and god bless ya for leaving table-layouts forever ;)

GGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

another rant on the way!!!!

Sorry Andy but I have had no where near enough coffee today............

Tables are for eating you dinner off (and displaying tabular data). Divs and CSS are what you need for layout...

I need a hug.....................

We should make a sticky describing the differences between tables and CSS, so that next time a person asks, you could just post a link to the sticky. That'll save you a lot of trouble.

Personally I think that is a great idea.

Some will argue however that it is a personal choice as to what method you use in your site design. Table layouts will porbably be around for ever (unfortunately) and many will not have the inclination to learn the alternative method (even if it provides too many benefits to mention.)

The only thing I can say (and I have said it before) is that spending a couple of days learing some basic css techniques for site layout will be the most productive you will ever spend in web development - the knowledge you will gain in that short time will save you years in the long run on updating sites and fixing html bugs...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.