[Wondering about..]How does a site like this work?[Example inside]

Freezo

I am wondering which things are needed for a certain website.

Example : a photostock website where people can sell their photo's. When a sale is made, the photographer gets perhaps 50% of the sale credited to his/her account on that site. Then after they made a few sales and get to the minimum amount of money, they can ask for a check or wahetever.

Now how or what is involved in a site like this?

Are the photographers credit information stored in a simple MSYQL database? (kind of risky?)
How do companies keep track of all the payment requests (from the photographers). Do they use applications(programs?)??

Would it just be as simple as :
Using a paypal account, put all the transactions money on that account, let it build up and when a photographer asks for money, send them the money?

Sorry if I can formulate my question etc neatly, but I was just wondering the above, any info is usefull.

Thnx

This question really doesn't belong here..

Maybe in PHP General?

But anyway, there are numerous ways to do something like this, but to keep data secure, I am sure a company would use a SQL Database for the web application, then for financials use trusted finanacial software on a secure server (not attached to the net)

i think i'll leave the topic here in the newbie section since it really is a fitting question. as mentioned above, there are so many different ways to approach a topic like this that it's not really even possible to go into a structure out of the blue like that. if you're looking at a pay site, you really need to read up on how basic ecommerce sites are driven first. then, once you have a handle on the merchant process, focus that onto the product (in this case photographs) that you are interested in selling.

[!--quoteo(post=355054:date=Mar 14 2006, 04:15 PM:name=obsidian)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(obsidian @ Mar 14 2006, 04:15 PM) [snapback]355054[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
i think i'll leave the topic here in the newbie section since it really is a fitting question. as mentioned above, there are so many different ways to approach a topic like this that it's not really even possible to go into a structure out of the blue like that. if you're looking at a pay site, you really need to read up on how basic ecommerce sites are driven first. then, once you have a handle on the merchant process, focus that onto the product (in this case photographs) that you are interested in selling.
[/quote]

Ok thnx, this does help. I am not looking specifically for selling photographs, but I saw them doing it with photos so.. I guess i'll have to research some ecommerce then. thnx

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.