digital audio library

map200uk

hi,

i have been working on a digital audio library for my own use, whereby it recursively scans a directory - looks for *.mp3 reads the tag data and then adds it to a database allowing the user to easily search through

it also displays the lyrics (if it can find any) and an image for the album-if there is one

my question is: can anyone think of anything huge i am missing out? Apart from the obvious lack of support for other file formats - two reasons for this, mainly the fact i am primarily concerned with mp3 and secondly, the fact i was unable to actually find much information regarding how WMA files are tagged.

and it creates playlists/has a rating system

any suggestions of features i should add/could try to add are appreciated

i'm actually doing the same thing. but the mp3 side of things is a small component of the entire app.

i also allow the users to upload a compressed file (.zip, .tar.gz, etc) and i decompress them and tag them via MusicBrainz's XMLWebService (http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/XMLWebService).

The files when displayed are sortable according to their file system metadata (size, date accessed, etc) as well as the ID3 tags.

apart from saving to the db for searching, i also produce an RSS feed of what files exist.

when listing the files, i have a checkbox next to each file and if you check a bunch of files and submit the form, it will prompt you to download a compressed file (with a format of your choice) that contains all the files you selected.

Koobi, so your system does not store the media locally? as you say 'upload' it?

an rss feed of what files are there-i thought of this, but what use would that be to me?

secondly -> im not sure if this applies, but how did you make it so they can stream from it, im having problems with directories, meaning i need to create sym links etc

Koobi, so your system does not store the media locally? as you say 'upload' it?

an rss feed of what files are there-i thought of this, but what use would that be to me?

secondly -> im not sure if this applies, but how did you make it so they can stream from it, im having problems with directories, meaning i need to create sym links etc

well my app is targetted for online use across multiple users. you didn't mention what you intended to use it for so i assumed it was the same as mine :)

but i would find an RSS feed useful if many users are using this app so that they know what files exist on the server.

regarding streaming...your best and easiest bet would be Flash or intense JS...this guy who works at Yahoo,,,Scott Schiller made an mp3 streaming...thing, not sure where it was but google for him and you should find something.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.