Website where users can submit their own text

keskin

I've just tried WordPress and Blogger, it's not bad at all, in fact it's pretty good but I would like to run a website, not a blog...

I know this is not a modern way of thinking, blogs are more than common today but I just would like a web look and feel.

For instance - a portal with option to support all registered users to be authors.

If you want something that you do not have to write and is themable so you can get a look you want check out www.e107.org which is a free php/mysql CMS website. You can have users register, determine what unregistered or registered users have access to, etc... blogs, forums, chat, etc...are available as plug-ins which are easily turned on.

There are other free CMS systems like this out there, but I have used this one and found it works well for what it sounds like you are wanting.

I've just tried WordPress and Blogger, it's not bad at all, in fact it's pretty good but I would like to run a website, not a blog...

I know this is not a modern way of thinking, blogs are more than common today but I just would like a web look and feel.

For instance - a portal with option to support all registered users to be authors.

I don't think the suggestions were intended to point you to a "blog look" but rather to recommend you read up on the workings of a blog, since what you describe is almost identical in scope to what a blog does. Yes, you want it to be customized, but the principle of posting comments and content is very blog-like in nature. If you get a feel for how the blog structure works, you'll be well on your way to being able to develop the site you're after.

I don't think the suggestions were intended to point you to a "blog look" but rather to recommend you read up on the workings of a blog, since what you describe is almost identical in scope to what a blog does. Yes, you want it to be customized, but the principle of posting comments and content is very blog-like in nature. If you get a feel for how the blog structure works, you'll be well on your way to being able to develop the site you're after.

...correct :)

You can build it on a basis of simple guestbook, just give it a looks and feels of a blog. I'm not much of a .php programmer but if you want something like this (but articles instead of signings) i can send you the scripts, it's very short and simple. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.