PHP4 Support dead?

utexas_pjm

I installed my home and work systems from Ubuntu Edgy Eft to Feisty Fawn this week, and learned that PHP4 is no longer supported and has been removed from the repositories: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=385052 .  I have also read in a few different places that PHP4 will no longer be supported at all after December of this year.  Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Patrick

Nope, but i hate what they did to the ubuntu server in Ubuntu Feisty. It was better how it was in edgy im actually tempted to switch  to debian as this was not the only annoyance in ubuntu feisty. To me ubuntu feisty in general felt like they released it to early.

And I know this might sound harsh but I hope php4 does slowly die to make room for php5 and php6 

yep, no more PHP4 support. you can always add your own repositories to support PHP4 but the default Ubuntu repositories don't support it. I think people should switch to PHP5 but I don't think they should leave people with no option but to use PHP5. People should have a choice of software.

Nope, but i hate what they did to the ubuntu server in Ubuntu Feisty. It was better how it was in edgy im actually tempted to switch  to debian as this was not the only annoyance in ubuntu feisty. To me ubuntu feisty in general felt like they released it to early.

And I know this might sound harsh but I hope php4 does slowly die to make room for php5 and php6 

what do you mean? what have they done? I haven't upgraded yet but I'm considering it.

I think people should switch to PHP5 but I don't think they should leave people with no option but to use PHP5. People should have a choice of software.

Isn't PHP4 technically an older version? They don't leave e.g. Firefox 1.5 in the repository either. People could always just download the sources and compile it themselves.

Isn't PHP4 technically an older version? They don't leave e.g. Firefox 1.5 in the repository either. People could always just download the sources and compile it themselves.

but there are situations where you would need an older version for either a dependency issue (where you can only use an older version of a dependecy library which the newer versions don't support) and if you are put in that situation, you are going to be in a big mess.

PHP.net allows you to download the older versions as well so I believe Ubuntu repositories should. we should be given the choice. we know what is best suited for our system.

Yes -- but they have been developing PHP4 and PHP5 in parallel over the last few years, so it's a little different. 

I don't think they should leave people with no option but to use PHP5. People should have a choice of software.

There is always a choice, compile the source.

There is always a choice, compile the source.

well, i just think that if they are going to call Ubuntu the user friendly Linux for the beginner, they should make things very easy. if it was gentoo or something like that, i'd understand them discontinuing PHP4 since gentoo users will most likely know how to compile a program...and if they don't the only thing the gentoo wiki doesn't cover is how to build a space rocket.

but yeah, i think ubuntu should make things easy for the user since that is what they represent...btw, does anyone know if debian repos's support PHP4?

well, i just think that if they are going to call Ubuntu the user friendly Linux for the beginner, they should make things very easy.

I think supporting only PHP5 actually enforces the fact that they are being user friendly for the beginner. I'd hate to think of all the newbies out there handed PHP4 when, in fact, they will be much better off using 5. I mean, even http://www.wampserver.com only offers a PHP5 version now, too. Even if you look back at their Sourceforge pages, they only have the previous versions of WAMP5 available.

I don't know why it's such a big issue, honestly. If you're dying to use PHP4, you'll figure out a way to use it, but I'm all for pushing people towards the newer versions.

yeah i'd like people to use PHP5 too as I've mentioned but there are real life situations where using the older versions are required. iv've come accross such situations at work but thank god we use redhat for our servers.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.