#1 Terminal

Terminal
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 January 2003 - 03:31 AM

Hey,

How can I create a new MySQL database in Windows 2000? MySQL and PHP is installed, I just don\'t know where to begin.

Thank you for any help

#2 Patrick

Patrick
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 January 2003 - 04:21 AM

I have been running MySQL and an Apache Web server (with PHP installed as a module) as services on Win 2000 and it\'s been working well -althought I am having troubles with sessions and authentication.

I\'ve found the easiest way to manage MySQL is by using phpMyAdmin, see www.phpMyAdmin.net - free download - just extract to your document root, and access index.php. If you\'d rather use the MySQL command prompt open the command prompt and select c:INSTALLATION_PATHmysqlbin then type: mysql -u \'username\' -p or just: mysql -u root if you haven\'t changed the root password yet. (phpMyAdmin makes it much easier)

I start by building the database in phpMyAdmin and then starting on the php code from there.

Hope that helps,

Patrick

#3 abubin

abubin
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 06:11 AM

i am also having some problem getting mysql to work in windows 2000.

Once I installed mysql, there are no shortcuts created in the startmenu to allow me to run mysql. I have to run it from mysql \"bin\" folder. But there are like 2 dozens of .exe files there which I am not sure which one to execute.

I downloaded mysql control center from mysql site. But the problem is, this program didn\'t ask me to create a database. It directly ask for my parameters to connect to the database which I have no idea.

Thanks in advance.

#4 abubin

abubin
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2003 - 06:26 AM

ah!! found it!!

I manage to login using \"root\" as the username and blank password. That must be the default username. I must have missed it from the doc. Thanks to this forum, found it after reading through some of the posting.

Thanks guys.

#5 Patrick

Patrick
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 January 2003 - 02:07 AM

Good on ya guys, consider using phpMyAdmin to manage your databases instead of using the command prompt - it does make life much easier. Just my opinion though...

Patrick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users