Creating new database in win 2000

Terminal

I have been running MySQL and an Apache Web server (with PHP installed as a module) as services on Win 2000 and it\'s been working well -althought I am having troubles with sessions and authentication.

I\'ve found the easiest way to manage MySQL is by using phpMyAdmin, see www.phpMyAdmin.net - free download - just extract to your document root, and access index.php. If you\'d rather use the MySQL command prompt open the command prompt and select c:INSTALLATION_PATHmysqlbin then type: mysql -u \'username\' -p or just: mysql -u root if you haven\'t changed the root password yet. (phpMyAdmin makes it much easier)

I start by building the database in phpMyAdmin and then starting on the php code from there.

Hope that helps,

Patrick

i am also having some problem getting mysql to work in windows 2000.

Once I installed mysql, there are no shortcuts created in the startmenu to allow me to run mysql. I have to run it from mysql \"bin\" folder. But there are like 2 dozens of .exe files there which I am not sure which one to execute.

I downloaded mysql control center from mysql site. But the problem is, this program didn\'t ask me to create a database. It directly ask for my parameters to connect to the database which I have no idea.

Thanks in advance.

ah!! found it!!

I manage to login using \"root\" as the username and blank password. That must be the default username. I must have missed it from the doc. Thanks to this forum, found it after reading through some of the posting.

Thanks guys.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.