web company

In the near future I would like to start a web developing/graphical company but I would want to know what kind of stuff should I look for the create a online company is there any laws and if so is a national or state...and how would my clients sign a contract? and if anyone has any suggestion please please tell me. Thank you.

Well that depends on a bunch of things. If you are within the United States I would suggest that you first look at the SBA's site. They have thousands of articles and links to related articles. When it comes to contracts I normally give the client several options. They can either download a pdf version of the contract or I can fax it to them(i use a email-to-fax service) and then they will fax or email it back. I guess if neither of those are an option you could send it via express mail. If you start a formal business you may have to charge sales tax for customers within your state(assuming US).

There is just way to much involved in this to be able to reply in one post. I would like to let you know that there are two main reasons that new businesses fail and those are 1) improper plaining and 2) insufficient funds. I personally feel that if you are starting a new(full fledged not part time) business that you should have a least enough money saved to sustain your self for a year. Most businesses will not see profit within the first year. However, that is not really the case when dealing with webdev/app design work, as your overhead should be next to nothing. I am in no way trying to discourage you but rather I would say that you should have all of your facts straight and funding issues worked out before you ever open the doors of the new business.

• 4 weeks later...

Well what I would recommend is start small. If you want to go 100% into a full blown business you better have some money saved up like tomfmason said. Otherwise I would recommend keeping some sort of regular job just so you can pay your bills and everything. Let the web stuff be your "extra". This way you aren't begging for work all the time and it won't really matter if you get a lot of work or no...cause you are covered. Once you get going a little more and once you feel that the web work can sustain you, then you can quit the part time gig.

One thing that you will notice really quick is that you won't get a lot of work until you have DONE a lot of work. People look at your portfolio first before they even think about calling you (if they don't know you already). So if you don't have a portfolio...you are nothing. If you are starting out I would get as many simple/low end jobs as you can to build up your portfolio. Also make a "demos" section on your site that just have what you can do and show people what you can do. Ex: make a 10 page catalog/shopping cart with a decent design.

Here is the best advice that you can get...Always talk about your business to everyone! It doesn't matter if it's your friends or someone you just met. Make your friends sick of hearing about your business because when they are out without you they meet and talk to people...if something gets brough up about your type of business your friend is going to say, "Hey, my friend *** does something like that...here is his number you should call him." You should always make it a point to mention something about your business and what you do. This is where you will get a lot of easy business. Its amazing how you can just mention something to someone and it takes you to a whole new place and maybe you could get some business out of it.

Always be friendly to everyone...you never know how they could help you out someday.

Based on the lack of research that it seems you've done so far concerning locale, laws, etc, I would strongly recommend you start with something like http://www.guru.com where you can let them handle the legalities and contractual agreements and such. Then, once you have a client base and a better feel for how things are going, move off on your own. Being able to have a start-up web business with the thousands that are already out there is no small task. The following comment you made has me a little worried:

yea thats what im trying to set straight getting everything so I can get it up and running I already have someone that wants me to create their site but I just wanted to set a profoilo...for my service.

If you are basing starting your business on one request for help, you'll be gambling quite a bit more than what I consider reasonable, myself. Usually, one will have an entire portfolio or client base to build a company site on, not the other way around.

You also have to decide on whether or not you want to take the time, effort and money to become incorporated or any number of other things to become a licensed or certified business in the US.

There is a lot more to think about than you'll get good answers for strictly from a coding forum, I'm afraid.

I do hope these comments help you find some direction, though.

A web development company really has no overhead costs other than certain corporation/bank fees.  Maybe you'll have to purchase some simple things like office supplies, fax machine, new computer, etc, but the costs should be minimal to get started.  With that said, consider if it is worth it to start up the business or just do a couple jobs on the side without becoming incorporated.  I started an S-Corp last year and it is a slow beginning, and I am just building a portfolio, but work is certainly not easy to come by and potential clients in this market are very difficult to deal with.  There are many small things to consider.  Are you familiar with any accounting, do you want to pay an accountant...

A web development company really has no overhead costs other than certain corporation/bank fees.

As soon as you decide to branch out as a "business," though, you also need to have your butt covered when it comes to any legal action or disgruntled customers. With that in mind, legal advice and/or attorney along with some sort of insurance is something that must at least be considered as well.

• 2 weeks later...

OK I am starting my company in the next couple weeks and I am have a client login for my clients. I want to offer them the ability to check the traffic on there site in that month or in the past months in there a way to do that like at software thats FREE I have an extreamly low budget. But if thats possible is it called something. like Client Traffic Checker...lol

OK I am starting my company in the next couple weeks and I am have a client login for my clients. I want to offer them the ability to check the traffic on there site in that month or in the past months in there a way to do that like at software thats FREE I have an extreamly low budget. But if thats possible is it called something. like Client Traffic Checker...lol

Why not just let them use something like Google Analytics?

Thank you! But will I be able to get a print out and also will I be able to sign up for more than one site?

Thank you! But will I be able to get a print out and also will I be able to sign up for more than one site?

Do a little research. Google Analytics offers all sorts of reporting, including export to CSV and other formats. In addition, you can have multiple sites on there, but I think you may be limited to 5 or 10 with a free account. That limit may have been lifted with the new release. I haven't actually added a site to mine in a while.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.