Your Good PHP IDE

I'm currently using eclipse. It's not perfect and I'm still on the lookout for another page, but highlighting is flawless, the debugging is pretty good and I like the class overview when you're on a page with classes on.

My biggest wish would be that it showed me my class layouts for all classes. Eg if I include db.class.php in index.php, it would show me the methods of the db class, instead of just any functions in index.php

No errors I've found, the only things I'd change would be a couple of useability issues. It's pretty fast for a java program :)

As long as I require db.class.php, it shows me db.class.php's methods in a context menu (ctrl+space by default) when I am using it.

Are you speaking specifically about the class overview option?

• 4 weeks later...

My favorite editors for each OS..

Windows: phpDesigner 2008, in my opinion this is by far the best IDE, it also has framework support.

Linux: gEdit, the native Gnome text editor, you can change the preferences and use plug-in's to change it into more of an IDE.

Mac: Text-Mate, Text-Mate is my favorite IDE of all time, it supports almost all languages, has dozens of macro's, etc..

• 2 weeks later...

Net Beans.  I use it for Java as well as PHP and I cannot fault it.  I'm a Mac user by the way, so it's great to have software that runs on Windows and Mac, as I use it in the Windows based labs at University too.

Before you ask, yes, I have used Eclipse but I just find Net Beans accomplishes near enough the same task, but much more simply.

• 3 weeks later...

NetBeans 6.5 Beta came out yesterday.  They've tweaked the PHP editor, added FTP support, and my personal favs: improved the database features especially around MySQL, and JS debugging for both Firefox and IE!

NetBeans 6.5 info

Net Beans.  I use it for Java as well as PHP and I cannot fault it.  I'm a Mac user by the way, so it's great to have software that runs on Windows and Mac, as I use it in the Windows based labs at University too.

Before you ask, yes, I have used Eclipse but I just find Net Beans accomplishes near enough the same task, but much more simply.

I've migrated to NetBeans from Notepad++ (having tested some others along the way). I've started with NetBeans PHP EA, but the real fun started, with NetBeans 6.5M1 release. Now I'm working on nightly versions, but they're pretty much stable. I've never lost any work due to an error.

Its similar situation with other software asking you to install diffirent versions of .NET platform. (And hey! If you have .Net v3 it doesn't mean you won't need .NET v2!).

NetBeans at least lets you decide which JAVA SDK, SVN client,  PHP interpreter etc... you want to use

BTW: NetBeans 6.5 Beta is out.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.