PHP Developers Salary

benjaminbeazy

If you code PHP for a living, how much do you make (yearly)?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. If you code PHP for a living, how much do you make (yearly)?

• 0 - 20k
    • 20k - 30k
    • 30k -40k
    • 40k - 50k
    • 50k - 60k
    • 60k - 70k
    • 70k +

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see where you want to go with this, but you might not get the results you're interested in. There is quite a big difference in pay between the continents (fair or not). This is pretty much an international board. I'd be interested to see how much developers get paid in the states though. Maybe cause to emigrate? LOL.

You also didn't specify currency.  I'm assuming USD. 

And I don't program PHP for a living anymore... I do it on the side.  I do very little programming in my regular job... and that is mainly in Java or .NET languages (C#, VB.NET).

I just started doing it full time a few months ago, but my projections for the first year (from the money I've already made) will be about $35K this year. As I've said in various other posts I usually charge a flat rate/project that comes out to about $40-$50/hr. The other point that I would like to make is that I DON'T work a full 40 hrs/week...which could be a good or bad thing...I think it's great! :)

$59K for me.  For reference, I live in the U.S. and work 9AM - 4PM.

I'll be at $67K as soon as I'm put on full-time, which our company can't quite afford just yet.

Also, I receive a quarterly bonus based on the growth of our product, which is not as nice as a flat-out raise but money is money so I'll take it.

Maybe there's a language barrier or something, but I didn't get that one. I'm Dutch (from Holland - Western Europe, for those don't know Heineken and Amsterdam weed). I think the salaries are about equal on this side of the Atlantic. I personally just don't get paid enough (don't we all? :P) So maybe that's why I did't get the joke?

Never mind.

No, sorry that had nothing to do with pay. I don't know if you get it in the news over there but we have been having some imigration problems lately. Like people just walking over and now suddenly they are "Americans". Thats all I was refering to :)

Why not? Everyone is doing it! All you have to do is say you are an American and your in

...ouch :)

without wanting to veer off topic too much, i just HAVE to say - wow. Your border controls are much tighter than ours. Anyone that knows what "Liverpool FC" or "Man Utd" are get through our gates - not only that, but they get a house, benefits and virtual citizenship too!

on topic though. Web dev doesn't seem too well paid here comparitively. As a recruitment consultant (which you can be without qualification and minimal training) I could turn over about £36-40K (~$70 - 80k) with my eyes closed. in a full time post as a webdev, salaries are much lower - £20 - £30k (~$40 - $60k) which doesnt sound too bad, but considering the cost of living over here, coupled with interest rates, blah blah blah, you soon feel the kick in the bollocks.

i tend to find that freelance jobs pay more. there's less liability for the company as they're not committing long term to a fixed, high salary - they use you, you do the work, they get rid of you. Not just this industry, but any - always the freelance work. Only downside of freelance is the risk factor of not being guaranteed income (problem when you get around to mortgages/loans, etc).

There's yet another twist to this poll... although the pay may be phenomenally different between two people in different countries on here, you really have to weigh in the price of living, too. For instance, if I'm getting paid a full time salary of 65K USD annually, that's great for some cities here in the US. However, even moving somewhere like NYC or LA would make that a pittance salary.

On the other hand, there are locations that I've visited in the Philippines and other areas overseas where I grew up that making that salary would set me for life. There is much more to the pricing factor than salary alone.

Besides that, what about benefits? Are we including benefits in the number? If so, I'd have to bump my vote up a notch since I've got an incredible insurance/benefits package.

we have been having some imigration problems lately

We've always had immigration problems, the first of which is our country wants all of the benefits of immigrants but none of the consequences.  I'm coming from a reference point of living in S. California and being surrounded by illegal immigrants and had having the experience of working with them; I worked one summer as a janitor and spent a solid amount of time in the restaurant industry.

First off, I think the majority of the U.S. has the wrong opinion of these illegal aliens.  These people are a major boost to our economy.  I don't know a single person that doesn't go into a supermarket and complain about the price of fruit or into a restaurant and complain about how much a dinner costs.  Let's get Americans with higher salary expectations who also want benefits and vacations to take those jobs and see how much prices go up.  Not to mention most Americans don't even want those jobs.  Spend 8 hours bent halfway over in the hot sun picking strawberries?  No thank you!  I can't speak for the rest of the country, but in S. California, the two choices for menial labor are immigrants or teenagers.  I've seen how well teenagers do; I couldn't possibly tell you how many times I've gone into Juice Stop and hear this from the back:

"You take him."

"No it's your turn."

"I got the last one though!"

I don't give a rat's ass whose turn it is, gtfo here and make my smoothie.

You have to keep in mind that most of the immigrants have a desperate need to work and earn money to send back home, thus they are highly motivated.  If an illegal doesn't show up to work, they're either sick or found a higher paying job.  There's none of this "I wanted to go to a party so I called in sick at the last minute"-crap from them.  I'd prefer working beside a reliable illegal than a flaky citizen any day of the week.

I hear a lot of nonsense about the extra "tax on society" illegal immigrants bring with them, and it's just that.    The extra tax I'm talking about is more crime, since people who disregard the law about entering a country are liable to disregard the rest of the laws as well, right?  Quite honestly this is the most flawed logic I've ever heard.  Most of the illegal aliens I knew wouldn't hesitate to get a driver's license or pay for auto insurance if there wasn't an associated risk of being deported.  These people know they're on very thin ice so they try to call as little attention to themselves as possible,, which means following as many other laws as they can.  The real cause behind the type of crime we worry about them bringing is caused by economic status, not their illegal status.  There is no difference between an illegal alien and a U.S. citizen, both of low economic status, when it comes to likelihood of committing a crime.

Now, anyone who says illegal aliens' children place an extra burden on our public education system would have a valid point.  But our education system is so far beyond FUBAR I hardly think this is worth debating.

I think the majority of the U.S. population is under the impression that if we eliminated these people from crossing the border a good portion of our problems would just disappear.  I just don't agree with that scenario.

Wow, roopurt, you must have the vast minority of the minorities around where you live, then. I live in SC currently, and most of the illegals around where I live are definitely taxing on society. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not all for deporting them, either, in fact, I hired several of the younger guys in the neighborhood to help me clean up my yard after an ice storm we had.

However, I understand the logic behind your arguments, though. There are citizens that definitely have more of a tax on the population than the illegals, but the fact of the matter is, if you're going to have a law, you've got to enforce it. The guys around here that don't take the time to get licenses and insurance do so by choice, not because of any threat put upon them. Besides, who ends up biting the bullet when you're in an accident with someone who is uninsured and unlicensed? Definitely not them lol

Anyway, it's really a moot point since this is the kind of thing we'll never see an agreement made on a forum like this. I'm ready and willing to open my arms and welcome people to come into my homeland if they're willing to let themselves be held to the same laws and guidelines I subject myself to for the freedoms it allows.

Some of this might differ from state to state.  I'm fairly positive that in CA you have to be recognized as legal to have a drivers license and that insurance companies are not allowed to insure non-licensed drivers.  So what are these people to do?  They're not unlike you or me, they desire to live legally.  Believe me, if they could get a license and insurance I'm sure it would take a load of stress off their shoulders.

This is just one of those sticky issues that we'll likely never have a good solution for.

don't get me wrong...I don't mind if the are here working and taking care of their family...just be a legal citizen and don't think that if you are a minority or alien that everyone else should conform to what you want and/or your culture.

Prime example...Did you guys see the email going around? ...about some school in CA flying the mexican flag over the American flag PLUS flying the American flag upside down! If you didn't get it I think I still have it, I can post pics if you want, or PM me your email and I'll just forward it to you. But anyways...that should not be tolerated.

Can't say I saw that one cmg; I agree that is taking things too far.  I'd be curious to know if the school intentionally did that or if it was a student prank.

And looking into it, here is the answer:

http://www.montebello.k12.ca.us/

It is important to emphasize that this was not the act of any Montebello High School student nor any student who was enrolled in the Montebello Unified School District.

Apparently it was done by protesting students from neighboring schools; I'd be willing to wager the majority of which were citizens.

Just a note that the majority of Americans wouldn't be here without illegal immigration. That was far more taxing on the Native Americans that anything we've encountered. It's a complex issue...

If you want to take it that far, then there is not such thing as an American. I mean, as soon as you start picking the population apart into subsets, you're dividing the very fabric of the nation. I don't disagree with the comment in the least, but in nature of the argument at hand, it's the unity of our country that makes it great, not the diversity.

The question as to whether we white Americans have a right to be here is definitely an entirely different discussion, and to be honest, I think that our forefathers were at fault of some rather unseemly barbarism in the conquest of this country, and I'm not willing to argue that they were right in doing so.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.