Forums -> New Server

We've decided to downgrade the phpfreaks.com server for a couple of reasons.

1.) We're splitting it off of being on the same server as Linuxforum.com, ApacheFreaks.com, and MySQLFreaks.com

2.) Yahoo Slurp is litterlally killing our server. That is the most inefficient web spider I have ever seen. We have to drop 72.0.0.0/8 temporarily in order to reduce the load on the server because it was killing even our Dual Xeon.

3.) We simply cannot justify at this time to keep running our sites on Dual Xeon processors with the very little support we receive from our communities. There's ads on the sites, we need you to click them and support our advertisers.

This has been said numerous times, but doesn't seem to be working very well. We've been building products over at Server Powered that you as developers could appreciate. We've got the VPS, the Dedicated, the Shared with WebHostfreaks.com and etc. We've got the 24 x 7 support and everything you would need to host your sites. Instead, we get minimal interest from phpfreaks.com visitors / members.

ServerPowered.com and WebHostFreaks.com are the funding sources for phpfreaks.com and our other sites. All that we ask is if you're a user of this site, why not consider moving your hosting to us and contribute back to this community so we can continue to help you?

So, right now, phpfreaks.com is running on a [a href=\"http://www.serverpowered.com/vps.php\" target=\"_blank\"]Virtual Private Server[/a] along with Ajaxfreaks.com. We've already had to rollback the database once due to the Yahoo Slurp hammering the server and exhausting the memory.

Where we will go from here, we're not sure. If we don't get support from our communities (yes, people like you reading this post) then we'll have to find alternatives than running these sites.

top - 10:43:33 up 10:58,  0 users,  load average: 1.51, 1.79, 2.43
Tasks:  72 total,   4 running,  68 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s): 48.7% us,  7.7% sy,  0.0% ni, 43.6% id,  0.0% wa,  0.0% hi,  0.0% si
Mem:   1024484k total,   832160k used,   192324k free,    19180k buffers
Swap:  1012084k total,    10964k used,  1001120k free,   185404k cached

Regards,

[!--quoteo(post=355660:date=Mar 16 2006, 03:44 PM:name=lpxxfaintxx)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(lpxxfaintxx @ Mar 16 2006, 03:44 PM) 355660[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]

:( No wonder this was slower than usual. Good luck, and I'll click on ads every time I visit!

It shouldn't be any slower than usual, in fact I think the site is faster now. It's running very well from what I can tell.

It shouldn't be any slower than usual, in fact I think the site is faster now. It's running very well from what I can tell.

eric, thanks so much for what you have done. it's running 10x better than it has been for the last week. if there is anything we can do to help (more than the obvious donations), please let us know!

• 3 months later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.