ASP.NET vs PHP: What is the better job market?

sofakng

I'm looking to learn either ASP.NET (C#) or PHP.  My primary reason reason for learning is as a hobby (web-based game perhaps), but since I can't decide which one to learn I thought I would do some research on the job market and see which language is currently more valueable.

From what I can see, ASP.NET is about twice as popular as PHP (in the job market).  (* My conclusion is based off dice.com, monster.com, and hotjobs.com).

Is this true?  Also, by learning ASP.NET in C#, you also gain other skills such as .NET and C# (both which can be used for ASP.NET development or desktop application development).

Another choice is to learn Java, which seems to be twice as popular as ASP.NET but I really dislike Java for some reason... (maybe college made me this way??)

Any advice on what I should is very much appriciated :)

in response to storm the gates.

1. what is wrong with java.

2. most small\medium sized businesses are running microsofts stuff due to their familiarity with microsoft and no other reason

3. Asp.net, its microsoft so blah

4. there are other languages out there

ruby

python

c++

c

all of them are worth looking at.

If you are after a high paying job to do that you need to do one of two things.

1. lie to someone who knows less about it than you do

2. become an expert

In terms of job availability I would imagine C++ and Java have the most reliable job market.

LOL. Storm The Gates, JAVA is powerful language. Nowadays most of company prefer .NET and JAVA technologies. How come you so "anti-JAVA"? The only thing is JAVA need higher processing power perhaps comparing to others.

If it were me I would require you know PERL, JAVA and PHP and only use those. Perl is a must as that is such a powerful language.

PHP is a ton cheaper than ASP especially since no licensing from MS is involved and all the editors are basically "free" for PHP. Plus it is all open-sourced and you can find a ton of scripts already made easier.

For me, ASP is no thing that language is soo easy it is ridiculous. PERL, JAVA and PHP are the 3 languages I would recommend knowing solid for Webside programming.

If you are learning for a hobby, I might suggest PHP.  Learning for the job market, .net is probably what you should learn as I've seen it adverised more as well.  Before you learn either specific language, you must know how to program in at least 1 language.  You mentioned Java in college so I assume you must know the basic fundamentals of programming.  I wish I would have kept learning java, because I saw a nice position recently for $40/hr.

In any event, like I said, php is probably the way to go as a hobby. It's free, cross platform, and a relatively easy learninig curve.  I've only looked at asp a couple times and it certainly looked more confusing to me. 

PHP - For small-medium size businesses

Totally disagree LAMP is TOTALLY prepared for enterprise level business.  I made MUCH money in by consultancy last year on developing 2 ISO 9001 compliant apps for an enterprise level company - 1 was their human resources package (which receive honorable mention in their ISO audit, and 1 was an inventory control database which controls all there environmental compliance for electronics (RoHS, Leadfree, etc...))  Many corporations are ready for Linux in the workplace if someone will just show them how... 

ASP.NET- For enterprise level businesses. Also Learning .net will not help you learn C#, that is VB.NET

PHP will talk with anything that Microsoft makes.  The only tricky part is figuring how to do things that M$ ACTIVELY tries to keep PHP from doing...

Java- F*** JAVA. Sorry had to say it....

Dunno... it's over my head

My 2 Cents

In my opinion php dominates small business, has a slight lead in medium sized business, but .net takes the cake in the enterprise class.  You can't go wrong either way in my opinion.  You may get a higher paying job in ASP.net though IMO.

• 5 months later...

Aright this has been a big issue for me as well. Heres what Ive discovered:

PHP - For small-medium size businesses

ASP.NET- For enterprise level businesses. Also Learning .net will not help you learn C#, that is VB.NET

Java- {snip} JAVA. Sorry had to say it....

Dude we are an enterprise company and definitely use both proprietry and open source development tools.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.