Thumbnail of website link

carole2

I would like to have an image representation of the website i am linking to, kinda like what you see in directories where you can see a little box of what the website looks like. Any ideas where i can can get a snippet of code that will accomplish the above mentioned task.

thanks
carole

As far as I know, there is no way to get a snapshot of a website, and if you can, you could probably sell it.

You'll have to actually capture an image of the site (screenshot) and manually create the thumbnail. There is no way to create what you're asking programatically through PHP.

[!--quoteo(post=355619:date=Mar 16 2006, 06:42 PM:name=ober)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ober @ Mar 16 2006, 06:42 PM) [snapback]355619[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
As far as I know, there is no way to get a snapshot of a website, and if you can, you could probably sell it.

You'll have to actually capture an image of the site (screenshot) and manually create the thumbnail. There is no way to create what you're asking programatically through PHP.
[/quote]

ober i agree to disagee.

why i say that ok, on some search engines they provide a screen shoot of the
web page that has been indexed, when my homepage changes there small pic also changes stright away so hows it done .

I have the inpression that a dynamic link to my homepage is used then a small Thumbnail is created dynamicly on the fly but how.

sorry but its happing but how.

[!--quoteo(post=355633:date=Mar 16 2006, 07:09 PM:name=ober)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(ober @ Mar 16 2006, 07:09 PM) [snapback]355633[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
While that may be true, I think it's more than something you're going to just whip up with PHP and the GD library, but I've been wrong before.
[/quote]

ober i have found the solution the program that is used is the imagemagic program.

A programmer design a program with image magic to dynamicly update Thumbnal images of webites on the fly,it is not on realese to use as gpl script or as a paid script dam lol

only provided to establesed search engine companies lol.

all the bes redarrow.

I do think the best solution is what ober said is to take a snap shoot of the website and enbed within a page.

I do not no what program is best theo
Good luck mate.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.